General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Opening Ceremony of the Olympics, 27 July 2012

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 27 Jul 2017 00:01

Dear All

Hello

Where were you when London finally got to open the Olympics on this day in 2012?

There has been a massive lead up, the Olympic torch was carried around the country for months and there was speculation about the cost of hosting such an event.

What did you think of the opening ceremony and the Olympics themselves?

Take gentle care
Best wishes
Love Elizabeth, EOS
xx

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Jul 2017 00:32

The opening ceremony was quite good, but the Olympics themselves? Not my cup of tea and to be avoided at all cost.

Linda

Linda Report 27 Jul 2017 09:59

I went to see to the torch twice once in the next village where I live and then two days before the oylmpics started it came through my mums town I think the oylmpics was worth the money people were friendly and the sport was great and it brought veryone together

Von

Von Report 27 Jul 2017 12:06

Thoroughly enjoyed all of it.
Got to see Usain Bolt. Magic

Fantastic atmosphere in the stadium.Think we need some more of that bon ami :-D :-D :-D

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 28 Jul 2017 06:32

I went to see the torch it was about a 5 min walk from where I live and was on the Sunday before the opening ceremony. While waiting I remember everyone, total strangers, were chatting about the Olympics and what they were going to see and how exciting it was.

I was lucky enough to get a couple of tickets for one of the evenings in the Stadium and it was such an amazing experience; the noise was deafening and the atmosphere electrifying.

Since a child I'd always watched the Olympics on telly especially the athletics and never in my wildest dreams did I ever expect to be sat in a Stadium watching the Olympics!

The Olympic Park was built on a railway goods yard that had been there since the steam trains even on a gorgeous sunny day it looked grey, bleak and cold. The Olympic Park has transformed an area that was very run down into a must live area with plenty of development still continuing....and so the Olympic legacy lives on.

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 28 Jul 2017 19:56

Dear Det, Linda, Von and LondonBelle

Hello

I love reading about personal recollections of different events, thank you for your kind replies.

Take gentle care
With best wishes
Elizabeth, EOS
xx