General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Jiggers, ginnels, alleyways to 'who-knows-where'

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 27 Jul 2017 15:20

Whatever you call them :-)

Wherever we went ( on holidays or new places) mum always wanted to go down any intriguing "jiggers" , and I obviously inherited her curiosity as I do just the same.

But there is one locally that I have only passed the end of a couple of times. The sign pointing along it says "Hindu Temple", but I have decided I will never go and look because in reality it is probably a very plain and depressing concrete block, whereas in my imagination it is architecturally magnificent ( white marble perhaps? ) :-)

Are you an alley cat who likes to prowl down 'jiggers' and if so have you ever found anything particularly interesting there? a view of the sea or a lost old building?

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 27 Jul 2017 15:57

I used to call it an entry - West Midlands but in Notts it's a jitty. Never found anything of interest though but love the little streets in old towns. :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Jul 2017 16:15

Love alleyways in towns, they always look more interesting than the main shopping streets. In gloucester we have several old lanes (as narrow as alleyways that lead to the cathedral. There are lots of old buildings in them including the Tailor of Gloucester museum and some old independent shops, fascinating places.

When I was a child we had an alley that was called Gypsy's Alley, it was a cut through from our road to another and cut off a large corner so we always went down there even though we were told not to go there because the gypsies would take us away. (Never saw a gypsy).

Rambling

Rambling Report 27 Jul 2017 16:20

I used to walk to my first school down 'Paddy lane', the field on one side had a goat in it :-)

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 27 Jul 2017 16:28

Our Alleys are known as Twitchells . All sorts of interesting historical buildings at the end of some of them if you know where to look

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 27 Jul 2017 16:48

I have a 'thing' about alleys! My OH informs me that the Somerset word is 'drang'...

There is a little place called 'Church Entry' in London where once stood St Ann's Blackfriars. There is still a little bit of wall and a few gravestones. My g-g-g-grandmother was interred there, and lived just round the corner in Ireland Yard, which is another 'alley'. :-)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 27 Jul 2017 17:05

Rye in East Sussex is a great place for wandering off down tiny pathways.

In Sussex many of the small pathways are called twittens.

Last week in Folkestone, I noticed a named alley, which I'd not noticed before, but I won't be exploring that one. It looked a bit 'dodgy' and not the place one would venture alone.

Rambling

Rambling Report 27 Jul 2017 17:52

Gwyn I had several visits to Rye when we lived in Kent. Really loved it, we stayed in Guestling and wandered happily down some lovely lanes ( I hope some of them are still there!).

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 27 Jul 2017 18:09

I think a lot of Rye is unchanged, so you'd recognise most of it, but having said that, there always seems something new to discover about it's architecture or history.

I love looking in the little shops and exploring off the beaten track.

Rambling

Rambling Report 27 Jul 2017 18:18

Gwyn, I will go back sometime I hope :-) in fact I might go and google B & Bs next lol

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 27 Jul 2017 18:22

They are called Jitties in these parts.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 27 Jul 2017 22:56

As Gwyn said......

Here in my Sussex town we have a 'Twitten'

In fact I put an offer on a house on it many years ago but was outbid :-(

Chris

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Jul 2017 23:21

When I lived in Mevagissey, most of my walk to school was through opes (alleys) and nips (narrow paths). I rarely touched a proper road.
When we went back a few years ago, I couldn't work out where the school was using the roads :-S

Leslie

Leslie Report 28 Jul 2017 19:59

I love diving off the main streets in places to go down alleys and passages...More often than not you find local history that everyone else is missing...
My Audrey always said I was nosy,,but,,I said just curious as to how the other half live... <3 <3 LES...