General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Really Gross

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Aug 2017 15:02

I may have mentioned this before but not for a long time. It is very nasty but true.

One of my family who was born in about 1800 had been in the Hussars so had possibly been on campaign somewhere abroad.

Anyway, he came home and worked as a fisherman but, in his forties, he died at 48, he was very unwell, complained of aching joints, failing vision and had a big lump on his side. There was evidently some benefactor who liked him because he was admitted to the West Sussex Hospital where they put him on a special diet that resembled bubble and squeak pretty much.

Anyway, in due course of time, our Henry's symptoms were eased greatly when a tapeworm 7 yards long emerged from his body.

Caroline

Caroline Report 6 Aug 2017 15:34

Just the thought of it...yuck...but people still get them now I believe...

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 Aug 2017 16:51

Oooh how horrid, as Caroline says Yuck.

Dermot

Dermot Report 6 Aug 2017 17:19

I assume a measuring tape was used.

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Aug 2017 17:32

Do you know, Dermot, I wasn't even there.

I am just telling you what I found out. It's probably all malicious gossip anyway!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Aug 2017 17:43

I have what might be even more gross ........

I did zoology at university, which involved dissecting all kinds of animals. We were all taught from high school level to use dissecting needles, scalpels, etc and never ever our fingers, especially for internal organs. However, one of my classmates insisted on using her fingers ........... she had very long nails that she said were better than any instrument.

Wasn't long before she had to go to Emergency and was found to have intestinal worms. The theory was that eggs had caught under her nails during a fish dissection (yes, the worms were identified!!), and then transferred.

About 55 years ago now, but ...............

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 Aug 2017 18:07

So glad I've just finished my dinner :-| :-| :-| :-| :-|

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Aug 2017 18:26

Our vet had a theory that the prevalence of bowel cancer in the human population was due to the eradication of intestinal worms.

After all, we all had them throughout most of our time on Earth.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Aug 2017 18:59

maggie .............

that classmate became quite famous for other reasons, but I can never see the name she used / uses without remembering that story and shuddering

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 7 Aug 2017 01:53

I remember seeing a programme about people who swallowed tape worm eggs to help with weight loss..............

Watching the results were not for the faint hearted :-(

Chris

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 7 Aug 2017 09:31

gotta be careful with tape worms, each segment can become a new complete worm....

Dermot

Dermot Report 7 Aug 2017 17:28

Don't overlook or disrespect the hungry slithering slimy worms that will anxiously & with all slow speed devour your decaying body in the grave, usually starting off with your succulent watery eye-balls.

Blink while you can!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 7 Aug 2017 18:07

Twas brillig and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe
All mimsy were the borogoves
And the mome raths outgrabe

Beware the jabberwock my son
The jaws that bite the claws that catch
Beware the jubjub bird and shun
The frumious bandersnatch.

From Poetry for Children