General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

NHS hospital appointment record?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 8 Aug 2017 18:58

Mum had an appointment at 10am this morning at our 'local' hospital.

Arrived in outpatients early, 9.40am.

Called at 9.45am.

We were out by 10.05!!!!!

I have no complaints re mum's consultation, very thorough and not rushed...A lovely Registrar and it happened to be his first day!

Is this a record?

Big thumbs up to this particular hospital!

Chris

Andrew

Andrew Report 8 Aug 2017 19:11

One of my children had cancer at about 15. (Hes fine now) and had to go for regular checkups.
Record visit was arrived at hospital, had Xray done and go to Oncology to see Consultant. Between walking in and walking out was 27 minutes.

Another time when having Radiorherapy. We had to take train to hospital. From getting off train walking several hundred yards to hospital having treatment and walking back to train was 50 minutes.....it could take several hours.

When the NHS works, it works brilliantly.

Andy

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Aug 2017 20:21

You both certainly had excellent experiences. From my limited experience, you're in and out within the hour or hanging around for ages.

We'd been told by someone who knows, if possible avoid August appointments. That's the month when they rotate the trainee doctors. Consequently they may not be completely on top of the speciality.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 Aug 2017 08:35

On the opposite side of the coin our local hospital has limited on site parking with the surrounding roads being restricted because of it

For a 2 pm appointment you need to be there as soon after 1pm and still queue to get parking . It's a pay parking by taking a ticket as you go in

It seems that umpteen appointments are made for the same time so first come first served . We have been sitting sometimes for over an hour plus after the 2 pm time to be called in for a max ten minutes consultation .

Then it back to the pay machine and if you have just gone over an hour you are in the next pay bracket

So you don't get seen on time then you pay for the privilege of being kept waiting

Some appointments for hubby cost £4

Used to annoy me intensely.

We had to go by car as the bus service wasn't suitable for hubbies mobility as it meant 2 buses that went all around the houses with a change of bus part way

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 9 Aug 2017 08:46

I had a surprise yesterday with the NHS out here - not known for speed.

I had a 10 am appointment for a routine mammogram yesterday (every 2 years here). Walked into the medical centre at 09.50 - the clock is right by the door. Went up a long corridor to the desk I needed. The woman was on the phone arranging someone's appt. After a couple of minutes she ticked me off the list and sent me to the empty waiting room and at 10.05 I was back in our car. :-D