General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

"Hidden" info notwithstanding access to tree.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

André-Louis

André-Louis Report 11 Aug 2017 14:38

Someone allowed me to access her family tree. When accessing the tree, a lot of information about people remains "hidden". What to do?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 11 Aug 2017 14:55

People are hidden at the tree owners request or because their dob is under a certain number of years or they are still living.. And I can't at the moment remember the number of years.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Aug 2017 14:59

Isn't it 100 years unless a death has been entered?

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 11 Aug 2017 15:27

On this site I think it is entirely a personal matter. There is a box you can tick to say you want "living" people hidden - unfortunately that also includes anyone where you don't know the date of death, even if it does make them 200 years old!!

Many people get round that by actually typing the word living in the box for those they want kept private.

I think the 100 years rule is on FMP for the 1939 register.

If you want to know what it says under the "hidden" boxes, you will have to ask the tree owner, and hope they are willing to tell you.

Kense

Kense Report 11 Aug 2017 16:35

On GR it is 120 years if no death date is given.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 11 Aug 2017 18:08

Go to ACCOUNT / Personal Details :-

Hide living relations Yes/No

This will hide details you have entered for individuals born in the last 120yrs with no death date; including you!