General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gosh she is large

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Aug 2017 15:20

We are at Lee on Solent and have just been over the water from Gosport to Gunwharf Quays. Beautiful weather, just right fir a short cruise although it looked choppy outside of the harbour and it is very windy. As we crossed the harbour we had good views of the new carrier, HMS Elizabeth. Goodness she makes the old carriers of the 50s/60s look small. (Eagle, Victorious, Ark Royal, Bulwark and Albion were regular sights when I used to travel to work across the ferry and often good for a visit on Navy Days).

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 18 Aug 2017 15:23

I've been on Invincible and that was pretty big but this looks huge - hoping for a trip down soon!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Aug 2017 15:31

Worth seeing Sheila, it might be better after the first rush, the queue for the dockyard was right back to the Gosport ferry entrance/bus station Too long for us to wait, and I bet it will be worse tomorrow.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 Aug 2017 16:44

It must be quite a sight Ann.

I watched her coming into port on the news live and thought what an amazing feat it is to get something so large through the narrow entrance to the harbour.

How lovely for you both to be revisiting old haunts.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Aug 2017 18:40

Thanks Gwyn with two Grandsons still living in Hampshire plus two great grandsons we try and get down here twice a year. Love Lee spent so much time here as a child and when 'courting' OH. :-)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 Aug 2017 22:20

A lot of activity in the Solent this weekend.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-40974792

I always remember having to watch out for the wash from large ships, when we went to the beach as children.

Annx

Annx Report 19 Aug 2017 12:17

In the pictures I saw a few days ago it looked massive and so impressive Ann. How great to actually see it in real life, but what a responsibility to manouevre something like that!!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 19 Aug 2017 13:36

Left hand down a bit..
Sub Lt Phillips , HMS Troutbridge

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Aug 2017 16:57

????the Navy Lark, loved it, saw it live broadcast from either Ark Royal or Victorious, can't remember which. Worked for the Admiralty then and we were given tickets.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Aug 2017 16:59

Well we wre down by the Solent twice today, some sun, just missed a shower and blowing a gale but no sign at all of a single cruise ship! :-D