General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gardeners need your advice please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 20 Aug 2017 18:01

I was bought some sunflowers about 10 days ago.

Now they are dead,

Is it possible that I can dry the heads out and see if I get any seeds that I would like to plant out next year.

Thanks
Sue

Fly

Fly Report 20 Aug 2017 18:07

I would try it Sue might work

Failing that take some seeds out of the bird food if you buy it

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Aug 2017 18:44

See if this works.

To harvest seeds, keep an eye out for ripeness. The back of the flower head will turn from green to yellow and the bracts will begin to dry and turn brown; this happens about 30 to 45 days after bloom and seed moisture is about 35%. Generally, when the head turns brown on the back, seeds are usually ready for harvest.
Cut the head off the plant (about 4 inches below the flower head) and remove the seeds with your fingers or a fork.
To protect the seeds from birds, you can cover the flowers with a light fabric such as cheesecloth and a rubber band. Or, you can cut the flower head early and hang the heads upside down until they seeds are dry; hang indoors or in a place that’s safe from birds and mice.
https://www.almanac.com/plant/sunflowers

As they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 20 Aug 2017 20:18

Sounds good advice from you both.
I have them all in the house on the kitchen window sill,So hopefully before I go away I will see some changes.

Thanks both of you ,I knew you were all a mine of information. <3 <3 <3 :-D :-D :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 20 Aug 2017 21:15

Careful when you do take the seeds out if you're successful, sometimes you can get almost like a dark dye on your fingers depending on the variety.