General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry DNA works!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 30 Aug 2017 15:39

About 10-12 years ago when hot matches really worked on this site,I made contact with a lady who was doing a one name search into a particularly unusual name we shared.
She sent me pages of info but we weren't sure of just how close We were...this was back at the beginning of 18th century.

I had my DNA done a while ago and hadn't found any matches until a couple of days ago when I had this email and thought I recognised the email address.I replied and she had recently had her DNA done and we had a match that proves we are 6th cousins.
We will keep in touch and maybe find some more!!

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 30 Aug 2017 15:54

Put your raw DNA info on GEDmatch. It's a free site that anyone can put the info on whatever company has done the analysis so you go on a much bigger database.

It's easy to do the download just follow the instructions.

It's lovely when you find links as it proves your research and paper trails. I have found a 4th cousin and we share 4th gt grandparents so my research from his grandfather to my 4th great grandparents and out to my mother is all correct. :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 30 Aug 2017 22:06

My nephew got his DNA tested - and is intrigued by the 2% Roman!! :-S

So, he bought my sister a DNA test (she hasn't done it yet - she's not really interested).

I've noticed 'My Heritage' has an offer on - I may do it too :-D :-D

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 31 Aug 2017 12:03

Thanks for that info Pat.I will do that,and there are other things to look into as well.
Getting interesting again!

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 31 Aug 2017 20:37

My son and his wife recently had DNA tests as they were curious. A good sign as he has never been interested in his Ancestors, apart from the scandals of course, so he may yet become the keeper of the family archive after my demise:-D

She is Russian and her results were pretty much as she suspected.

My son's showed a strong French connection that are probably 'my' Huguenots but we are all scratching our heads with regard to the Jewish connection....Maybe it is his Dad's side (my ex)???

I am going to do the test too and it will be interesting to compare his and my results.

Chris

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 31 Aug 2017 21:37

My daughter is convinced we have a Jewish 'side', because of the way me, my mum and granddad look, and because my g grandad, grandad and mum were brought up in Albert Road, Chapel, Southampton.
I think her words were 'You wouldn't pass Hitler's Aryan test!'
(neither would my dad - and he was 100% Cornish!)

Well, the Rothschilds did open a Jewish Refuge in Albert Road in 1895, but gg grandad came from Romsey, and had bought the house on a 99 year lease in about 1839, because it was close to the docks - and cheap!!

Annx

Annx Report 1 Sep 2017 18:50

I have a gt grandfather who was a traveller and for years I haven't been able to go back any further. I found others with the same surname, but could never find a link to any of them. Since getting my DNA test I have still found no direct match with him yet, but lots of matches that have members of the family I suspected was connected. So although I still do not have the link, I do now know that the suspected family in the DNA matches are related to me somehow. :-)