General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do you cope

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Sep 2017 17:33

Sooo am ticking over ok

I think I am ok .need to get out more as think am too inactive
I get out some days but spend too much time indoors with feet up sitting in hubby's recliner chair

Bloody chair this week decided to break the mechanism to bring the foot rest up
and it sprang up as I stood up and slammed me in the back of my right leg

Got a biggggg bruise on my calf and the chiropractor had to manipulate my leg back
inline she noticed as soon as I laid on the bed that the leg was a bit off and had to give it some adjusting

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 23 Sep 2017 19:07

Ouch, poor you! I spend too much time sitting around indoors, or sleeping.
Hopefully next week I will get a bit more exercise around Frinton, altho with o.h's bad knees it's more of a stroll than a brisk walk which is what I need!

Hope your bruise eases soon, have you got some arnica?

Lizxx

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 Sep 2017 19:49

When you find out, please let me know.

The mind is healing fairly well now but the hard bit is getting the body to start catching up with it.

I spend far too much rime on the sofa, with the footrest out, pillow on lap, sewing this patchwork, using my lap as a workbench.

Caroline

Caroline Report 23 Sep 2017 20:14

Half of fixing the mind has to be relaxing and if you relax by sewing then go for it.

Lets be honest I'm sure most of us would say we need more exercise, not many of us are typing on here whilst walking on a treadmill for instance :)

Do what makes you all happy AND what you are able to do that day.

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 Sep 2017 20:29

I do have one of those pushbikes you can't get up the pub on but it is so tedious. Bought a recumbent one because I thought I could read or maybe knit on it but it is not very successful.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Sep 2017 21:35

You want a cr*p bus service like we have!
We get 1 bus an hour, up until 18:15 (from town to our area only - not back down to town) - except for the 'magical' hour and a half.
Buses are 15 minutes to the hour (from town - give or take 15-20 minutes that they are regularly late), every hour, until 15:45, then the next one is 17:15.

I had a doctors appointment on Tuesday at 15:30. I got out at 15:45, assumed the bus had gone, got a bit of shopping, then walked home.
At 16:15, I met the bus coming in the opposite direction. It must have left town at 16:05 - 20 minutes late - but do you wait at the bus stop in case it hasn't left? .
The next bus (the 17:15 from town) went past my house at 17:16. It would have left town at 17:10. Not much good if you expected it to leave at 17:15!! :-|

Had a hospital appointment on Friday. I wasn't allowed to eat or drink after 08:00.
Came out of the hospital at 15:35, with a hunger 'delirium' numb tongue lips, throat and a 'gas & air' hangover - just in time to see the bus that goes straight to my house going past.
Yes, I could catch another bus into town - but there was still an hour and a half wait for a bus to my house.
I called my 'driver' - who was actually going to pick me up from the hospital, but we thought it would be nearer 17:00 (I was going to have a sedative, minimum 2 hour stay, but decided on a gas & air 'jolly' instead - instant release).
By the time I'd caught a bus into town, gone to the surgery with a prescription to be signed by my doctor (who wasn't there, but, after a while said they could do this and that - and could I come back down to pick it up at 18:00 - no I couldn't - bl**dy bus service, besides which, I was shattered), the driver driven from the New Forest and picked me up - at least 45 minutes before the bus home was due
I wouldn't mind, but other 'outlying' districts get a bus every 10 or 15 minutes - up to midnight on Fridays and Saturdays, the park & ride get a bus every 7 minutes during rush hour, 15 minutes the rest of the day (usually empty), and they won't go 5 minutes out of their way to come around our way - apparently, it would 'inconvenience' them.
Our buses were cut from every 15 minutes, to 20 minutes, to half an hour, then to 1 an hour - because they were sometimes empty.
But, it seems, if you don't pay local Council Tax, and drive a car, empty buses can run for you!! :-P :-P :-P

Rant over :-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 23 Sep 2017 21:36

We have an exercise bike somewhere, o.h. got it from his dad but only used it to hang laundry on lol

Lizxx

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Sep 2017 21:49

Darn good use for it, Liz - at least it gets some use!! :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 Sep 2017 22:05

I don't mind a bit of a pedal but it is sooooo tedious.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Sep 2017 23:15

..especially on the uphill bits :-|

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Sep 2017 00:09

That is the joy of having a bike you can't get up the pub on, you can choose your own hill.

I like to think that pushing the leg rest down is similar to one of those machines in the gym.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Sep 2017 00:27

It's a slight downhill, then a very steep uphill, followed by a long 'slow' uphill, then a whoopee dooo downhill to my nearest (excellent) pub, (stopping for the crossroads, of course).
But then it's an 'I can't cycle up this steep hill, ' a freewheel for a time, then an awfully 'long slow uphill' home!!
...and the pub is half a mile away!

...but some would say Winchester is flat!!
coming back is always different from getting there - I don't know why (hic!)

Caroline

Caroline Report 24 Sep 2017 00:49

You need an old fashioned pony that knew it's way home.

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Sep 2017 01:23

You have to cover more road coming back.