General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Question please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alexis

Alexis Report 27 Sep 2017 08:21

Is there a way to see Members Family trees without messaging them (if they have made them public of course).

Many thanks

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Sep 2017 08:29

Unfortunately not, Alexis. Messaging them is the only way to get access. Please don't just say 'let me see your tree' but explain what you think the connection is & can they confirm that? Politeness gets a better response.

Once you have sent a message you can check if it's been read by looking in your sent messages box on this site. Ones which haven't been opened have an envelope icon next to them.

GR never removes dormant accounts. There's always the chance that the owner has died, become too frail to use the internet, changed their linked email address without updating their account or just lost interest in FH. There's no harm in trying!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 27 Sep 2017 09:12

If you know with certainty a few core names in the target tree then it is possible.
1. all people in trees will appear in searches regardless of their birth date and living or not
2. the status of the tree does not matter
3. the names will be linked to the tree owners Gr ID
From these basics working out the rest us not so hard. Of course this method only gives core data not a graphical tree.

Alexis

Alexis Report 27 Sep 2017 10:34

Thank you both, I did think that was the case, I sent a few messages and they remain unread, luckily I have a tree elsewhere, I was just curious if any more info was available here :-)