General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I download my messages?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rowan

Rowan Report 27 Sep 2017 20:22

I have something like 300+ messages stored in GenesReunited, many of them from quite a few years ago. I would like to download these to my local computer, so that I've got a record of who I communicated with and what about and when. I would also like to be able to download details of the contacts that I received messages from and sent them to. Can I do this? How?

I don't want to lose access to these messages if GenesReunited disappears, or jacks its prices up to the level where it no longer makes sense to belong, or whatever.

Thanks - Rowan

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Sep 2017 20:31

all I've ever done is c&p

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Sep 2017 20:34

Unless someone comes up with a better idea, you could copy & paste messages from an individual into a word doc & save that. You might need to edit or summarise as you go.
Name each document with the contacts name & family surname in common then put them in one 'folder'. Each of the different family surname folders could then be moved into one FH contacts one.

It's only a suggestion!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Sep 2017 21:12

Detective .............

that's what I had to do with some contact information that I wished to keep .....

......... it took a long while when one contact and I had had months worth of exchanges re finding a mutual gt gt grandfather!

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 27 Sep 2017 22:14

I did that recently, but I did it page by page so that I could edit out the bits I didn't want. I didn't download it though, but printed it off, so that I could take it on holiday with me.

I agree with Sylvia - it takes a long time if the correspondence is extensive! :-)