General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

shock!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Sep 2017 00:08

Think there has been a double homicide in the next block to us :-0

OH came home to pick me up for coffee, said he'd had to pull over on the main street as 2 police cars raced past, then one came up our side street as he parked. Left the house about 10 minutes later, and there was yellow police tape across the street so we couldn't drive out, looked to the left, more police tape at the next block and lots of police vehicles of various shapes and sizes.

Naturally we had to walk over to see what might be going on ........ police with guns out, yellow tape round one house. Realise that it is the house where our friend found an Airbnb late last year when her condo was being completely renovated. No-one knows anything, except occupants very nice, quiet, been there a long time..

Go for coffee, police still there ........... neighbours say 2 bodies, suspected homicides.

It's a very quiet neighbourhood. Haven't even had any drug raids for many years.

Still breaking news ..... but there is one report that nearby neighbours saw a hatchet and a blood trail leaving the house

:-0 :-0 :-(

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 28 Sep 2017 07:00

Sad, what goes on in some people's lives, isn't it?

It also just goes to show how deceptive appearances can be.

Keep safe Sylvia.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 28 Sep 2017 09:37

Oh dear, that is very sad Sylvia. I hope they catch whoever did it soon

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Sep 2017 12:58

As has been said, that is sad, and a shock when it is close to home. Hope you hear more soon.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 28 Sep 2017 17:52

How awful and sad.

Have you a pink house and blue bungalow close to the scene, Sylvia?

Lizxx

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Sep 2017 18:32

Liz .................. the crime scene is a small blue house.

The police have not issued a public warning ........ BUT the news has just said that they are asking for the public's help in the homicide :-S

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Sep 2017 20:16

now announced as a double homicide, and information wanted from anyone who might know anything, or indeed, when anyone last saw the couple.

They were in their 60s, and it seems that a friend or neighbour went to visit, saw something "concerning", didn't go into the house, but called police about 1:30pm ............. which fits in which OH's timing of seeing the police cars on his way home.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 29 Sep 2017 00:24

Yes, dark royal blue, near a pink one? I googled it and saw a picture of the crime scene.

It's awful for the person who found them. What ever the story, may they rest in peace.

Lizxx

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Sep 2017 01:04

Liz .................. it seemingly was not a member of the public who actually found them.

Someone went to visit them, saw something outside in the front garden that concerned them, and they called the police.

So it was police who went into the house.

Still a shock to that person, but not as bad as actually seeing the scene.

The police have issued the model, year, license number of a car that was registered to the house.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 29 Sep 2017 02:02

I think it said it was a relative or neighbour who called the police, but even seeing there was something strange to warrant the call, must have been frightening and then learning what the police found when they went in, must have been dreadful.

So sad

Lizx

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Sep 2017 00:01

OK

It's getting a bit more worrying now ...............

Earlier this afternoon, the police issued a public warning for the area as they cannot determine if the murder was random or not. We have to report anyone suspicious or if we feel unsafe, and let the police decide whether we are being over-anxious or not.

There was an appeal last night re a car missing from the house, and it was found a few streets away without a matter of hours. Hopefully there will be some evidence found in it.

The victims have been identified, and it turns out that the woman and the wife of one of OH's colleagues at the Garden worked together as occupational therapists.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 30 Sep 2017 00:09

Stay safe, Sylvia.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Sep 2017 00:13

Thanks Maggie ...........

we'll be making sure our doors are properly locked!!

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 30 Sep 2017 01:03

Sylvia

Stay safe.

I had a similar experience in 2009.

I was visiting my parents and we took the tram into Croydon. When we came back there were several police entering a flat on their 'square'.

We went home and then the drama unfolded.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1217347/Daniel-Dighton-mummys-boy-held-parents-knifed-death-home-refused-leave.html

Mum, Dad and I were interviewed by the Police as we were on the spot, at the right time, but had nothing to offer.

My abiding memory is seeing the son led down the shared access pathway, by the Police, shoe less and covered in blood.

Chris

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Sep 2017 03:47

Chris ............

that must have been really shocking for you!

At least we can't see this house from our windows or front door ........ we have to walk down the front path to the sidewalk before we can look past the trees in our neighbour's garden!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Sep 2017 09:49

We read of murders & assaults on a daily basis. It only becomes 'real' when it's someone we know or close to where we work or live.

Let's all hope that the perpetrator is caught quickly so that the Justice System can give the bereaved families 'closure'.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 30 Sep 2017 14:54

How frightening, Sylvia. I do hope the murderer is caught soon. Such a dreadful end to someone's life, expecially if one witnessed the murder of the other.

May the couple rest in peace.

I hope you will stay safe

Lizxx

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 30 Sep 2017 15:00

Just come back on. Sylvia, stay safe. Must be quite frightening to be so close to it. I hope they soon find the person(s) concerned. Hopefully there will be clues in/on the car.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Sep 2017 17:15

Thanks everyone.

No further news so far today ....... it's about 9:15 am here.

I would guess they are going through that car with a fine tooth comb!!

At least we are not constantly seeing all the activity at the house or in that block because of our neighbour's trees.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 1 Oct 2017 11:30

and in a galaxy far far away

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jun/27/man-being-sentenced-for-fargo-double-homicide/