General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Old Jeans (not genes)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BrianW

BrianW Report 30 Sep 2017 20:25

Because I usually kneel down on my left knee I invariably end up with a hole in that leg of my jeans.

I patch them up until they go too far and I am ashamed to wear them then throw them away for rags.

Over the past few months I've seen a lot of people with holes in both knees of their jeans.

Presumably they kneel on both knees but can't afford to buy new ones when they go through.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 30 Sep 2017 21:20

My young granddaughters spend a small fortune on jeans that already have holes in the knees. As a matter of fact, the more holes the more expensive they are.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Sep 2017 21:55

Brian ................

they actually buy them like that for some incredible price.

One of our coffee morning guys has a pair that he bought online ................ and he's over 70 :-0

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 30 Sep 2017 22:23

I can remember years ago, when I had managed to get my Levi's to just the right shade of washout (hours of scrubbing on the draining board) and I thought I was cool and trendy!!

I sat down on the long seat on the bus, and my knee popped through like a smiley face. It was definitely NOT the fashion like it is now.

Cue to hide behind my hair!!

;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 30 Sep 2017 23:06

I always repair my jeans using Copydex.

If you do this it is very important to hammer he patch when you have stuck it on.

Allan

Allan Report 30 Sep 2017 23:39

Hopefully, not when you're wearing them!

Sharron

Sharron Report 30 Sep 2017 23:59

Well, yes, of course.

BrianW

BrianW Report 1 Oct 2017 06:27

I've found that Pinflair craft glue is the best for repairs, it needs to be left for 24 hours to dry but seems to be washing machine proof.
Sticks all sorts of things and comes in a tube so it doesn't dry out like the old Copydex jars.

I think I saw Prince Harry's girlfriend, Meghan, pictured in a holy pair a couple of weeks ago. Tempted to send her a tenner for an unholy pair. Lol.

As you may gather, I think the fashion is daft !!!

Dermot

Dermot Report 1 Oct 2017 08:35

Mature men beyond 50 wearing jeans suggest the idea of clinging onto their youth.

Part of the problem with wearing jeans at any age is the lack of a perfect fit. Every pair that cling to Carol Voderman like an MP to his expenses account, there's a thousand that fit like an anxious rat inside an empty sack.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 1 Oct 2017 09:34

Levis CEO Chip Bergh advises against washing jeans.

In my 20s I often wore Levis with holes as it saved money on buying uncomfortable new ones. On a motorcycle deep in France a bunch of frelons (hornets) decided to get a lift via the holes. The experience gave me a life long aversion to holey jeans from then on.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Oct 2017 09:36

The same people who can’t afford a new pair or have the ability to mend the holes also appear to own viscous cats. Their T shirts have small holes where the cat’s climbed up them :-S

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Oct 2017 09:46

Dermot and Rollo :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 1 Oct 2017 11:20

These days jeans option extend a bit beyond 501s such that most people can find something comfortable that fits and if not a tailor will sort them out for a consideration. A good fit means actually buying and trying in a real jeans shop. Just because a given spec fitted at one place and time is no assurance for the future so best buy at least two pairs at once, especially if you wash them sometimes.

nb: guys no longer singing alto parts in the choir should avoid what they call "skinnies". One of my sons ( a baritone ) tried a pair on, we had to call the assistant to extract him with dire warnings over payment. He is still a baritone.
I larfed so much I had to pay for lunch but it was worh it.

My poor cat, still making the best of life despite his kidney cancer, is not vicous!

He does like to hang onto my shoulder with his massive British Blue claws though. In the early days this ruined an expensive leather jacket and a lot of t-shirts. Now I only allow it when I am wearing plain black T shirts which can take the perforated look ok. The scars are such that I was asked in the showers if I was a member of a religous cult into self flagellation !

He also has teeth fit for t rex which makes giving him his meds challenging.

I have never had the time to repair jeans. Snr cat likes to get hold of an old pair though and customises them with his claws.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Oct 2017 12:04

My 15 year old grand daughter came around last week - her jeans had slits all the way up her legs.
She pointed out to me, the 'interesting' colour shading of her legs - paler on the top of her thighs (wearing shorts), and getting darker towards her knees! :-D :-D

I informed her about the girl who asked her granny to wash her slit jeans.
Granny duly washed them - and patched all the holes for her :-D :-D

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 1 Oct 2017 12:25

Long before I married in 1962 my then to be mother in law washed my new jeans for me. She also took out the front zip and moved it to the side as she said only men had front zips in their trousers. it must have taken her ages to do and I had to pay someone to move it back.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Oct 2017 12:29

When she was going through the teenage angst stage, I did offer to narrow PC’s flares. It’s good to wind them up occasionally ;-) :-D

Only a few years ago, she actually asked why we ‘let her’ wear some of the more daft fashion-statements. She was disposing of the said flared jeans & platform trainers.

Most of us have done the same, to the accompanying parental tuts. :-D

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 1 Oct 2017 13:13

Anyone else sit in the bath with them on, to shrink them?

No?

Just me then!!

:-D :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Oct 2017 18:59

Of course, over in North America, everyone wears jeans, all ages, sex, and all sizes

I'd never even thought of jeans before we first arrived here back in the late 1960s .............. we didn't even wear jeans for field trips when I was at university. It was corduroy or woollen trousers.

Jeans were something that were seen only in American movies

I'm still not comfortable wearing jeans, though I've long made sure that I had one pair (replaced regularly!!) for camping trips .............. mosquitoes find jean material hard to penetrate :-D

I still have one pair in my closet for wearing in cold or very rainy weather ..........but they're now made of stretch jean material for comfort. I've had them for about 10 years, so they obviously have not had much wear :-D

I do however like denim skirts .......... and am finding it harder and harder to find the long ones that I prefer. They're all skimpy little mini skirts that hardly cover the back side :-( :-0