General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

*******The Secrets in my Family****** UPDATE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 4 Nov 2017 16:33

Virgin 125......Sky109

Monday 9pm.

The One Show's Alex Jones hosts this brand-new, six-part UKTV Original genealogy series that uses ground-breaking technology to help ordinary people uncover their ancestral histories. The Secrets In My Family allows those kept apart by secrets to dig deeper into their family histories using a pioneering DNA test to uncover the truths behind their family mysteries. The series proves that, with just a little information, it's possible to uncover secret family members and solve long-held family mysteries. But the results do not always lead to the ending people hope for.

Von

Von Report 4 Nov 2017 16:45

Sadly I don't think I'll be able to watch it :-(

Edit to say I don't have Virgin or Sky.

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 4 Nov 2017 18:30

Thanks Mr M for telling us about this.

I have now programmed it in to record. I'm looking forward to it :-)

Mersey

Mersey Report 4 Nov 2017 18:38

Thanks Mr M will take a peek :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Nov 2017 22:00

Watched a preview download.

Ancestry DNA is, obviously, heavily plugged.
You might find it interesting If you enjoy ‘Long lost families’ or similar programmes.

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 6 Nov 2017 16:33

*****TONIGHT*****

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 6 Nov 2017 17:47

Also started today at 2.45pm and scheduled for every weekday for at least this week...

FINDING FAMILIES .... BBC2 WALES :-)

If you don't get BBC2 Wales where you are, you could watch it on the BBC iPlayer or check out if it's shown on BBC 2 for other regions.

Annx

Annx Report 6 Nov 2017 20:19

Thanks Mr Magoo, I'd read about it and then forgot so I've recorded it now. :-)

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 6 Nov 2017 21:03

It’s also on BT 311 and TalkTalk 311

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 6 Nov 2017 22:19

Well I enjoyed that!

I watched it on Sky TV and after this episode finished it said I could watch Episode 2 immediately on demand.

I may watch that tomorrow :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Nov 2017 12:14

Can I be honest now?

3 participants.

1 found her relative independently then took a DNA test to decide if he was her father. With a one week turnaround, it couldn't have been Ancestry's version.

Another was reunited with her father. He was named on her BC and had kept in contact until she was a toddler. There was no need for a DNA test just good old research.

The last one never knew who his father was. He was the only participant where Ancestry DNA could have helped. He shared his DNA results on the Ancestry site and had a match with someone who was likely to be his cousin. Guess what? The person didn't respond to his message!!

In my opinion, the only saving grace in the first episode was an expert discussing Afro-Caribbean DNA analysis.

Unless future episodes have success stories using the DNA testing, Ancestry have bought a pup.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 9 Nov 2017 12:51

Not for me I was disappointed and bored.

Tabitha

Tabitha Report 9 Nov 2017 13:40

If ancestry are sponsoring the programmer then they will turn it around really quickly - not like us plebs who paid for ours and waited several weeks and still dont have any confirmed matches that are really close..

I do prefer Alex to Davina & the other chap - she seems more friendly & normal.

Will still watch it in case I learn something

Shame about the M people chap I hope the DNA match person gets in touch

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 Nov 2017 14:24

Missed it but managed to see it on catch up

A bit disappointed with it

Too much on Ancestry promoting DNA tests . They aren't the bee all and end all

I have had mine done . It really did give my german ancetsry. My paternal grandfather was german but we always knew this . The DNA did give the biggest percentage of that area of Europe

It did give a second cousin on my mums side that I am already in touch with

But really it does depend on others have I got the DNA done and uploading the results

I thought the DNA was irrelevant. More of old fashioned trolling through records would get results