General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bad decision on my part

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 10 Jan 2018 11:22

When Fred was alive and I spent a lot of my free time on the bed, watching television and listening out for him, I watched a programme about the Saudi royal family.

It was quite interesting, if not riveting, and focused upon the personalities of the individual members.

Last night there was a programme shown about the Saudi royal family which I thought might be the same or very similar so I didn't bother to record it, I just watched it while I was getting stuck into the first few miles of the hemming of this quilt.

More fool me, it was the most instructive and incisive piece of journalism I have ever seen about about the structure and politics of Islam, the Ladybird Book of Islam. It was brilliant.

Sharron

Sharron Report 10 Jan 2018 12:31

You saw it as well then.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Jan 2018 13:58

I too watched it.
It was fascinating.
It will be interesting to see how Crown Prince Salman deals with his new-found position. With any luck, he'll be as outward looking as King Faisal.
Faisal introduced education for girls - as far as University, and had plans for more 'freedoms', like women to be able to drive, but what held his ideas back were the Religious Policemen - the Mutaween, who appear to have acquired more power over the intervening years, and increased their number with people who should be considered 'undesirable' for this position - namely ex prisoners who, on learning the Koran by heart, were released and employed.
However, Salman seems to want to go back to more 'freedom', and it will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Although, so far, quite depressing, I'm looking forward to the next instalment.

Sharron

Sharron Report 10 Jan 2018 15:31

I did watch it but was not being particularly attentive, Goddamit!

Had I recorded it I should certainly have watched it again once or twice because it was so beautifully succinct but, even then,I doubt I should have known enough to have entered into a discussion about the subject.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Jan 2018 15:37

Last nights was mainly about the conflicts - not Crown Prince Salman.
The above are my musings.. :-\

If you watch the next one, I expect it will be on a different subject or from a different view. Even if it's not, they'll need a succinct 'overview' of this weeks programme, which should make the next one easy to follow.