General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry query?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 21 Jan 2018 18:32

I've eventually bit the bullet and just subscribed to Ancestry, but my tree is on here, can I somehow transfer via a GEDCOM file, thanks in advance,

ShelleyRose.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 21 Jan 2018 18:47

ez
Export it from GR - it will arrive within 24 hrs as an email atrachment which can be imported into Ay. Notes and pictures will not be transferred. Make sure that Ay is set to European date format. Also add a country for any European cities in yr tree as otherwise Ay will assume they are in the USA and helpfully auto edit. Annoying.

Make sure yr tree status is set to private. Don't believe a thing on op Ay trees jnless you can find at least two solid pieces of evidence NOT including other tree entries.

Ay allows you to create as many trees as you like. This can be helpful in all sorts of ways eg speculation, single name. I sometimes create a small public tree as bait and wait a month or so to see what the tide brings in.

good luck

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Jan 2018 18:47

Looks like you may be able too
Google the question

Simply locate and select the appropriate family tree file on your hard drive-upload it to Ancestry, and Ancestry will interpret the file correctly and create your tree. Alternately, you can create a GEDCOM file from your family tree software and upload it to Ancestry.
Upload an existing family tree file - Ancestry.com
https://www.ancestry.com › gedcom

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 21 Jan 2018 19:06

RolloTheRed and Shirley-I,m getting the hang of it, many thanks for your quick replies
I had visions of having to type in every person in my tree onto Ancestry lol

Rollo I've already looked at some public trees and I'm horrified at some of the errors, I'm not going to even try to tell them their errors, (I know what I've got on here is all mine, I always double check everything).
I'm still finding my way around the site, I like your idea of a small public tree to see what turns up.
Many thanks again to both of you for your help. :-)

Inky1

Inky1 Report 21 Jan 2018 20:50

The notes added to an individuals record form part of the GR exported .ged file. Those notes are taken into the Ancestry database, and you can view/change/delete them. Ancestry message at the bottom of the notes page:-

'Notes can only be viewed by the owner and by those invited to the tree as an “editor”.'

I presume that means that your notes are fairly well shielded from other members.

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 21 Jan 2018 23:52

Many thanks Inky1 for that information - still trying to navigate my way around it all. :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 21 Jan 2018 23:54

If you mark your tree private no one can view any of it without your permission.
:-)
You can do this by going into tree settings

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Jan 2018 17:56

If you make your tree private, anyone searching for someone in it will be able to see that that person is in a tree, and will be able to contact you through Ancestry for more information. You can determine whether it is a true connection or not before giving them information or letting them see your tree.

They cannot see anything other than the name until you do that.