General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I'm not sure if

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 12 Feb 2018 22:24

that was a wasted day or not :-S

I have spent from 10:15 until 18:45 in A&E.

Woke up on Saturday with chest pains, and cramp in my lower leg.
Thought I may have slept awkwardly.
Sunday, still had pains in my chest, but they'd moved round the back - unless I coughed. Leg still sore.
Phoned The Doctor this morning - thinking it may be a pulled muscle, (I've been decorating) or a recurrence of the 'Walking pneumonia' I'd had before.

I was told to go straight to A&E :-(

I was seen within the hour, had an ECG a cannula put in, and half an arm of blood taken - and the cannula was left in.

Was then taken, with another lady to another ward.
We were the only ones there.
Then more people arrived.....
Basically a lot of waiting, ECG proved I wasn't having a heart attack, so I suppose I could wait'
I had a chest X ray, blood pressure taken, prodded, poked, waiting, no food and finally, a consultant :-D

ECG - clear
X Ray - clear
Cramp - no sign of a clot in my leg
....but you could have a clot in your lung - or a pulled muscle :-S

They took another load of blood - to check for the clot.
...and then gave me an anti-coagulant injection, in case it was a clot - in my tummy!!
They will let me know whether or not I have a clot - my guess would be not!

So, I'm home, very sore leg through sitting so long, very sore arm due to the cannula, and absolutely shattered :-|

Oh yes, and a sore chest - for which I should take paracetamol :-D

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 12 Feb 2018 22:38

GPs have to send you to A & E with chest pains.

I had to have an ambulance a couple of years ago. Paramedic arrived before ambulance saying "Chest pains?" Me "Er no".

The 999 service flag chest pain as a way to get an ambulance to you more quickly.

Hopefully they will get to the bottom of your pain. A blood clot in the lung isn't funny. I had one in 2008 post op and as I had a good idea what it was there was no delay. My Mother died from a PE when I was little.

Now you couldn't just have chest pain or leg pain could you? Double whammy eh?

Hopefully you will feel better soon and get some answers!

Sue

Florence61

Florence61 Report 12 Feb 2018 22:43

No Maggie, it wasn't a waste of time. You went to get thoroughly checked out to make sure you were not having a heart attack and glad to say your results showed you were not.
But sometimes in order to eliminate something, it just takes ages what with all the tests etc, bloods, examination.

Lets say you had not heeded advice and stayed at home, heaven forbid took a heart attack and then what? Doesn't bear thinking about.

look upon it as an MOT and you passed. That's the best result you could get.

Glad you are ok. yes you probably overdid it a little and probably pulled a muscle so take it easy for a few days.

take care
Florence
in the hebrides :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 12 Feb 2018 23:11

I do feel pleased I've had an MOT, but feel a little guilty.

I refused an ambulance and got a taxi there and back.

I was going to tackle painting the stairs on Wednesday :-|

Glad I didn't mention the pain in my right shin - I know what that's from.
Am I the only one who crushes a shinbone against the ladder, in an 'attempt' to hang on?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Feb 2018 23:37

glad you passed your MOT!

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 12 Feb 2018 23:38

You did the right thing Maggie although you should have taken that ambulance.
Paramedics are equiped to deal with any problems arising from chest pain

My OH was just a few days off his 41st birthday and had similar symptoms
He felt unwell all day, was sweaty and clamy and had had chest pains.
After a full day at work, he decided that he should take himself off to A&E

He did have a blood clot.
In the main artery feeding his heart and he was having a major heart attack.

He was given streptokinase ( once only, clot busting drug) but the damage was already done.
He did fully recover and, luckily needed no further interventions (stent etc)

The Doctor in A&E also gave him a huge lecture on:
A) Ignoring chest pains for an entire 10 hr day before seeking medical help
B) driving with chest pains

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 12 Feb 2018 23:48

I didn't have a temperature, and felt okay in myself - just sore, especially when breathing in deeply or coughing - hence thinking it was a pulled muscle or 'minor'/ walking pneumonia.
Have to admit, though, one of the 'problems' of living alone, especially having brought children up alone, is that one has a tendency to just 'carry on'. :-(

Caroline

Caroline Report 12 Feb 2018 23:53

Glad to hear you've been checked top to toe, and hopefully nothing shows up so it was just hanging from ladders or chandeliers or whatever it is you get up to on a weekend :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Feb 2018 00:05

Moi? Hang from Chandeliers? I was decorating very gently, I'll have you know!

Poor daughter suffered!
I phoned her this morning, in case she was coming to Winchester and could take me up to the hospital.
It's half term, so she wasn't up!
Once up, she went into 'panic mode', or rather 'What the hell is happening, mother' mode.
No signal on my phone in the hospital.
I didn't want to go too far, in case I was called.
Had a text: 'Hope lack of texts is good news'.
Eventually she phoned the hospital, apparently I would be out in 10 minutes.
Three hours later I was out.
Lots of texts in the last 2 hours.
My phone played a multitude of tunes when I left the hospital :-D :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 13 Feb 2018 00:11

Well what's a half term without a trip or two to A&E.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Feb 2018 08:03

True - but it's normally children - not their grannies :-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 13 Feb 2018 08:31

Sorry to hear of your long day at hospital,Maggie, but good to hear that they found nothing major wrong.
Did you have a special chest X ray with dye injections to detect for pulmonary embolism or did they just give injection 'in case?

I had a very slight pain once, well more like a discomfort than real pain. It went within a minute or 2 and I got on with my day, shopping, going on the bus and visiting grandson.
Later I had the same feeling and went to A & E,where after various tests, including that special chest X ray with contrasts, a P.E was detected.

At no time could I say I had pain, as such, rather an awareness of something different for me.

Listen to your body, I say, and act if things are not right.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Feb 2018 09:34

They gave me the injection 'just in case', but took bloods before, to check.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Feb 2018 09:50

No not a wasted day Maggie and you seem to have been well looked after, especially being seen after an hour, you do read/hear about such long waits these days. glad it wasn't a heart attack and hope final test shows no blood clot. Best to be safe than sorry. And the taxi probably got you there sooner than the ambulance would have.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 13 Feb 2018 10:59

Oh poor you,

a stab in the belly is the usual way to admin that meds ,after a few it ends up black and blue depending who does it, ;-) :-D :-D :-D

It could have been anything and a lasting cough dont help.glad nothing seemed to alarm and keep you in under obs, for now anyway.!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Feb 2018 16:36

I have a most impressive bruise, Kay, after just one :-(

Kay????

Kay???? Report 13 Feb 2018 18:20

Yep it really bruises but some of that is due to the meds.

Bet they are having a fine time with your blood,,,,,first time they will have seen Blue lineage. ;-) :-D :-D.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Feb 2018 19:38

:-D :-D :-D