General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Recent NHS payout

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Caroline

Caroline Report 13 Apr 2018 22:12

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5612889/Sri-Lankan-refugee-couple-set-multi-million-pound-NHS-payout.html

Okay first obviously it's awful this child is left in the state they're in BUT should the NHS have to pay millions of pounds because someone couldn't speak English?
Yes the nurses should have been aware the mother couldn't understand them BUT if I go to a hospital in another country and I don't understand the advice I'm being given or they don't understand me I'm going to find someone who can help me. I'm assuming the nurses here were rushed off their feet as usual...

Rambling

Rambling Report 13 Apr 2018 22:27

To be honest? Getting the attention of maternity staff when I gave birth was hard enough, they were too busy standing gossiping at the desk to pay any attention to the new mothers. From being left alone in an unsafe bath immediately after.to not being informed where the necessary facilities were and a useless trainee midwife left with me for hours who leaned against a counter looking at her watch constantly because she was anxious I gave birth on her shift to count towards her 'birth count'.

Quote "Midwives had given her 'false reassurance' by 'repeating the mantra that it is perfectly normal for new born babies to cry.'
The hospital's midwifery team should have contacted the NHS 'language line' for help, or called for an interpreter, he ruled." So if there IS a 'language line' why was it not used.

Surely the midwife who attended her prior to the birth could have flagged up the need for extra care to be taken to make sure the woman understood. Even if she nodded and smiled they should and could have been monitoring the feeding...that was what happened when I went from the hospital I gave birth in to the local one which I had wanted to go to in the first place.

Quote "Although we have made huge improvements since this incident occurred in 2009,...."

If the hospital admit improvements have been made surely that implies that it wasn't good enough then.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Apr 2018 22:30

It would work if the boy’s lifelong care is funded ‘only’ by the payout. It would save drawing from a different care budget.

Regardless of language barriers, new first time mother’s are discharged far to quickly after birth. Of the 5 new borns known personally, 2016-17, 3 have had to be readmitted within a few days.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Apr 2018 23:11

But it was the community midwife who alerted her problem to the hospital.
Had the mother and baby stayed in the hospital, where the midwives were happy for her baby to cry, the chances are he could have died.

I was 'accused' of overfeeding my baby :-(
That 'baby' is now a community midwife, helping mothers with breastfeeding......
...and you can't 'overfeed' a breastfed baby!

Caroline

Caroline Report 13 Apr 2018 23:36

Talking of feeding it seems to be the trendy thing to let them self-feed as soon as they can hold onto food, then they can underfeed, as for overfeeding when breast feed not likely!

As for this story are we assuming the parents weren't the brightest people....it's your baby...seems you told the community midwife so advocate for yourself make sure the hospital is ready for you and can help you. Are you telling me when they came to Britain they weren't in touch with support groups etc??

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Apr 2018 23:51

Hospitals no longer tell you, you are 'overfeeding' your baby.
Why didn't she just pick the baby up and feed it, if it was crying?
If she was seen struggling, someone should have come along and 'sorted' her.

Daughter visited a lady who had had a caesarean. She desperately wanted to breastfeed, but feeding the 'usual' way hurt.
Daughter put the baby over the lady's shoulder, and it fed very happily!

Caroline

Caroline Report 13 Apr 2018 23:53

Babies feed no matter what country you're in!

If you're trying and struggling like you say someone will help.

But again the NHS pays millions because these parents didn't advocate for themselves.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Apr 2018 00:04

..and babies feed from any position!

Elder daughter actually found her way to the 'food' before her cord was cut :-S
Fortunately, I wanted to breastfeed :-D

My younger daughter (born in a different hospital from her sister) wouldn't feed - mainly because of 'gunk' swallowed during childbirth.
I was told, if she didn't feed 'soon' they'd have to give her a stomach pump.
I actually took her in bed with me (a 'no-no' in those days, and definitely forbidden in the hospital where her sister was born), but they left me alone. I was exhausted, baby was exhausted - we both just wanted to sleep.
After 5 hours, she finally fed, and got rid of the 'gunk'. (humongous poo for the uninitiated :-D)

Caroline

Caroline Report 14 Apr 2018 00:18

Oh that first pooh........ :-(

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Apr 2018 00:27

:-D :-D :-D :-D

I wonder why it's never posted on Facebook? We all remember it!
If you're lucky, it's the first initiation for daddy, of the life to come.......

Caroline

Caroline Report 14 Apr 2018 00:30

Yeah funny that isn't it...every and I mean every little thing the little precious things do these days online but do you ever see that first package from H&^L no you do not.....

Dermot

Dermot Report 14 Apr 2018 10:34

It irritates me when, as a monolingual nation, we expect everyone else to be able to speak our language. :-S

{Happy 70th birthday to the NHS}.