General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GRO Certificates advice please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 26 Apr 2018 20:54

Dear All

Hello

Could I have some advice please?

I am trying to locate birth certificates before 1912 with a common surname and its a lot of money to pay out if you order the wrong one.

Is there a way I can discover the mothers maiden name before I purchase the certificate from the GRO?

Also, does Ancestry now show mothers maiden name on their records?

I would be very grateful for help.

Thank you friends and colleagues.

Take gentle care
Best wishes
xx

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 26 Apr 2018 21:02

GRO has the mother's maiden name on pre 1912 births. If the MMN is missing it usually means an illegitimate birth.

You can get a PDF download of the birth for £6.00 now Elizabeth, they are sending the PDF files out in about a week at the moment.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 26 Apr 2018 21:03

Yes, go to the GRO site
You will need to register, but then you can search the birth records, putting in a mother’s maiden name so you can be sure it is the correct cert.
As it is before 1917 you can down load the certificate yourself for six pounds something instead of £9.25 for a paper copy
If you would like any help, just pm the details to me and Inwill find it for you

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 26 Apr 2018 21:07

As Linda says, you need to be registered on the GRO site so you can sign in to search.

You have to look for one gender at a time, and can specify a year, and plus or minus up to two years, so basically can search for 5 years at a time.

You can also specify whether you want exact matches only or not..

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 26 Apr 2018 21:36

Dear Pat and Kucinta,

Thank you very much for all the information.
I didn't know about the PDF copies.

Dear Linda....the offer is much appreciated.

Will try to navigate around GRO.

Thank you ALL
Best wishes
Love Elizabeth, EOS
xx