General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I now open my matches in other trees

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patricia

Patricia Report 31 May 2018 13:23

I haven't accessed the site for a long time. I have just checked my family tree and have found starred matches attached to some of the names. I have clicked on them but nothing happens. Is this because of the new data protection laws
Thanks
Pat kelly

Kense

Kense Report 31 May 2018 13:33

You should find there are two GR tabs open. Look in the other one for the matches.

It is not obvious that this happens but it has caught out many people (including myself).

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 31 May 2018 16:21

Patricia, I have the same as you. When I click on a name on my tree I get tab with x amount of trees I click on view, it go's back to the tree. It never used to do that

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 31 May 2018 16:54

Malcolm, once you’ve clicked ‘view’ look at the original tab you used to open the site. The individual tree matches appear there.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 31 May 2018 19:51

Sorry all but I don’t understand anything of what you have said and I would like to see my hot matches. Sorry for being a bit thick. :-(

Kense

Kense Report 31 May 2018 19:58

For Hot Matches hover the mouse over relatives and then click on Hot Matches.

The above question refers to the matches indicated by stars in the boxes in the tree display. When you log onto Genes one tab is displayed. If you select My Tree under Family Tree then another tab is opened with the tree on it. If you select a match then the matches are displayed on the original tab.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 31 May 2018 20:06

Hot matches as such were 'run' every so often. That stopped happening in 2016.

You can still see ones via the pink rosette on your tree.
For instance, my mother's name has the number 8 in the rosette against her name. When I click on the rosette, its says "You have 8 Matches" then a box which says "View".

Currently, I have 2 tabs open - the one with this thread is
https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1372288
"How do I open my match.."

The one with my tree is
https://tree.genesreunited.co.uk/V3.4.3
"Family Tree"

Once I click on the View box from my mother's name, the "how do I open..." is replaced by "Genes Reunited".
Not pasting the url as it gives a break down on my mother's details.
When I click on the Genes Reunited tab, I'm given the names of the 8 members who also have my mother in their tree.