General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My mum

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kuros

Kuros Report 13 Jun 2018 13:35

When I first started out on the family tree trail, I asked my mother loads of questions and she really enjoyed giving me all the information she had. She grew up in the same village as my father so she was a great source of information for both sides of my family. We spent many happy times with her reminiscing and me making notes of it all. Thanks to her, I now have a vast tree with both my mother's and father's families.

Three weeks ago, at the age of ninety-two, my lovely mum died but she's left me a priceless legacy. For anyone starting out on their tree, I'd say ask your living relatives for their memories. It's a valuable source of information but can also be a most enjoyable experience for everyone concerned.

Annie

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 13 Jun 2018 14:16

It sounds as though you both enjoyed those times of her reminiscences, so good advice to those of us who still have elderly relatives living.

My sympathies for your loss.

Kucinta

Caroline

Caroline Report 13 Jun 2018 14:16

Sorry for your loss, but glad you were able to gain so much knowledge. <3

Sharron

Sharron Report 13 Jun 2018 14:28

Started my tree in 1980 so was able to speak to people who were alive in the nineteenth century and, most importantly, have their photographs which might well have been destroyed once they had died because nobody would know who was on them.

A lot of the history of the last world war will not be first hand soon and the empirical accounts of life in the first one are now gone. It was possible to hear the guns firing in France from here, not many people know that!

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 13 Jun 2018 14:42

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your lovely Mum, Kuros <3

It will bring back lots of lovely memories when you study your family tree, and I'm sure it will be a great source of comfort to you.

Thinking of you, Jem xx

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 13 Jun 2018 18:05

I am sorry about your loss. You are lucky to have been able to get information from her.
When I questioned my mum, she could never remember anything. Once I found the information myself, I would tell her and then she would say” oh yes I remember, but we didn’t have much to do with them” The few definite facts she could tell me, such as when her grandmother died, turned out to be incredibly wrong.

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 13 Jun 2018 19:34

Dear Kuros

Sending you caring thoughts.

Take gentle care
Love Elizabeth, EOS
xx

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 14 Jun 2018 00:43

My sympathy on your sad loss, Kuros. Your Mum left you a wonderful legacy of the family history and I am sure you will gain comfort from the memories she shared witn you. May she rest in peace now.

I wish I had started on the family tree before my parents died but I hadn't had access to a computer at that time and it didn't cross my mind to write stuff down that they had mentioned. Luckily I could remember a few stories and gained more info ftom other relatives.

Lizx

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 14 Jun 2018 19:23

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 lovely memories

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jun 2018 21:08

It's so nice your mum had the opportunity to relate to you, things she probably thought weren't relevant nowadays. <3 <3

I wish I'd asked my gran, Grace,(who'd been a member of the New Milton Labour Party since being housed there in 1944) if she joined the New Forest Labour Party in 1948 when my other gran, Annie and her husband (not my dad's dad) moved there, purely because he was there.
He was the Conservative Agent for the area!!

I never saw both of my grans in the same room - I wonder why? :-D :-D :-D :-D
I never asked :-( I'm sure Grace would have been pleased to tell me why!

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 14 Jun 2018 22:36

Sorry for your loss Kuros.

My Mum was adopted and because she knew most of the info decided to get her adoption file when the adoption law changed.

She let me read all the file and thank goodness she did as I traced all her birth family.ie half sisters /half brothers .

Most of her birth family on her mother's side live a few miles North of me.

Just her full brother to trace now.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 Jun 2018 06:52

Very sorry for your loss Kuros

How lovely that you were able to have talks and find out more about the family

Listening to stories about them makes them all the more real people than just names on records

When I was pregnant with our daughter in 1958 I would spend afternoons with my maternal gran who lived with my mum and dad

Hubby was shift work so I would walk to mums .getting some cakes from the baker on the way, and we would sit and have afternoon tea and chat.. such a blessing because sadly she passed away two weeks before I gave birth

I wasn't into genealogy then , took me 40 plus years to find the hobby/ interest but I remembered snippets of family stories she told me when I started the journey

Still on the trail 20 years later !!

I

Mersey

Mersey Report 15 Jun 2018 08:02

I am so so sorry for your loss Kuros <3 <3 hold all your special memories with a comfort that no one can ever take them away and they can be yours forever more <3 <3 <3