General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Familysearch

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 16 Jun 2018 18:26

I haven't been on the Familysearch site for some time now - how long has it been that you have to create an account with them? And has anyone had any problems after giving them your personal details??

Mary

Von

Von Report 16 Jun 2018 19:59

I haven't had any problems Mary but I only use it for searching. Wouldn't want to add any details other than those that are necessary to use the site.

Joy

Joy Report 16 Jun 2018 20:01

I have not had problems.

There have been a lot of new records added this year.

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 16 Jun 2018 21:23

Hi Von and Joy,

Thanks for your replies........I only want to do some searching on there but now it seems you have to register - giving name and date of birth!!! and email addy - before I can do just that. It doesn't give any reasons that I can find as to why they want my info in order that I can do some searches.

Anyway, if you haven't had any problems since registering then I guess it's probably okay and it's just me being ultra careful about my privacy.

Thanks, Mary

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Jun 2018 22:45

If you’re worried, give a false name & dob.
I use a free email address for hobby websites, one that’s different from ‘Business, Friends & Family’ use. Gmail & Hotmail allow you to create an email address with a name’ of your choosing, just as you’ve used Contrary Mary as your board name.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 Jun 2018 23:31

You have needed to set up an account for at least a year, possibly longer.

I registered with my usual email but use a "board name", and have had no problems.

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 17 Jun 2018 17:44

Thanks all for your replies. Yes I was going to give false details and use a throwaway email account that I use just for researching, so will do that. ;-) ;-)

Mary