General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Question

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 13 Jul 2018 19:04

I have come across the expression "Cis" a couple of times lately, used as a pejorative. I looked it up in Urban Dictionary, and found that it is short for cisgender, the opposite of transgender. It is used to describe someone who's gender identity matches their anatomical gender at birth. Fair enough, but, why do we need such a word, and why is it used as an insult? If I used a word to describe any member of the LGBTG community in an insulting manner I would be in serious trouble.

Lynnedee

Lynnedee Report 13 Jul 2018 19:47

I had an Auntie Cis - I thought it was a shortened way of saying Cecily ( which wasn't her name anyway) but it turned out it was her brother who had given her that nickname as he always called her SIS - short for sister. I much prefer this use of "Cis"

Allan

Allan Report 13 Jul 2018 22:26

Perhaps, bob, in a new world order where many seek to identify as all the colours of the rainbow, to call yourself .normal is seen as something abhorrent.

Perhaps we normal people should hide in the closet so that we are not the subject of taunts and insults :-S

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Jul 2018 23:28

,,,but, but, Allan - what is 'normal' ? :-S

I get fed up with the questions I'm asked on job application forms :-|
Are you:
Black
Asian
White
Other
Prefer not to say

Are you:
Single
Married
Separated
Divorced
Prefer not to say

Are you:
Homosexual
Lesbian
Transgender
Heterosexual
Other
Prefer not to say

..and all this tosh is to ensure 'equality'?
It's none of their bl**dy business what I am.
I either have the qualifications/experience or don't!

What really gets me is the:
Welsh
Irish
Scottish
British
Other

Never English - because that would be 'nationalistic' :-| :-| :-|

Allan

Allan Report 13 Jul 2018 23:40

Heaven knows in this day and age, Maggie :-D

Perhaps I should have said 'normal within the bounds of behaviour acceptable to the majority of society, until someone changes those boundaries.'

The Theory of Elasticity springs to mind (pun intended) :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Jul 2018 23:52

..but is it the majority?

Perhaps I should start 'protesting' on behalf of old bags with cats who take their bras off as soon as they're in the house.

We should call ourselves the 'hanging low catbag' generation :-D :-D :-D

Or - 'HALOGE's'

Allan

Allan Report 14 Jul 2018 00:07

:-D :-D :-D

The majority is the vocal majority even if they are, in fact, the minority. They just keep shouting louder and louder and don't allow any interruptions or debate.

We had this recently in Australia in the lead up to the so called 'referendum' on legalising gay marriage where both sides became pretty het up over their respective arguments.

The changes went through, but I wonder how many gay people who had been living a normal, quiet life like everybody else, felt about the supporters of the proposal demanding that they knew what was best for them

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jul 2018 00:14

Just like to add, in my 'youff' I suffered racial abuse, throughout my school years, as I had black hair, brown eyes, and an olive skin - one of my brothers was blonde with bright blue eyes - nasty things were said.
When I had an 'Afro', things got worse, I was actually kicked in the head by a bloke on a bike and told to 'F off where I came from'.
When he turned around to spit in my face, he realised I wasn't as black as he first thought - and fell off his bike. I told him I was on my way 'home' when some **** kicked me in the head.
So, having suffered racial abuse, I can really sympathise with those who suffer it constantly, and those who are in the minority, but, because, according to the 'check lists', I'm white and English, I'm not considered a 'minority'.
Now, as a silver haired (and paler) woman living alone with cats, the establishment wishes to label me yet again! :-| :-| :-|

Oh - woman living without a man?
Are you lesbian, secretly transgender - what label can we use.

How about an independent woman who doesn't want to pander to a man, can do the dishes when she wants, eat what she wants, when she wants, do what she wants, when she wants and doesn't really give a cuss. :-D

Oh - that'll be a selfish old biddy then!

I just wish there wasn't this obsession with labelling everything.

Allan

Allan Report 14 Jul 2018 00:30

:-D :-D :-D

I'm genuinely sorry to read about the racial abuse, Maggie. :-0

For my part, I just want to be left alone to live out what's left of my life in my own way. I have no wish for others to tell me what is good or not good for me. I do have a voice of my own albeit a shaky one at the moment until I get rid of this infection ;-)

As for labels I agree, and that's one reason that I didn't vote in the so-called referendum, because nowhere was there any information about where a yes vote could lead. No proposed legislation, nothing as to what could happen in the future :-|

Allan

Allan Report 14 Jul 2018 00:45

I've just read the following article; quite appropriate really :-D :-D

https://www.perthnow.com.au/opinion/rendezview/being-white-shouldnt-cancel-out-my-opinions-ng-be206a402e6ddbf98cfabe62c1745b4c

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jul 2018 01:19

The racism has just made me more beligerent, Allan!
Compounded by the fact that my dad was a convert to Islam in 1968 :-D
When people ask if I'm Moslem, I point out he converted to Islam, not fascism :-D

My maiden name (dad's stepfather) sounds French, but is actually an old Dorset name. Yes, me and my sister pretended it was French when it suited!
My married name is undoubtedly old English.

We gave our elder daughter an Arabic name (it means 'dark') - and she, like me is quite dark skinned, and brown eyed.
She works for the NHS. Quite often, Arabic doctors will talk to her in their language - assuming she's Arabic :-D :-D
Younger daughter has blue eyes, has an 'international' (but 'foreign') name and will get sunburned at the slightest hint of the clouds moving (takes after her father).
Both these women will be labelled by their names, if nothing else.
They've named their children:
After a flower
Roman name (a second name on his grandfather's side - but he has it as a first name!)
Cornish name
After a stone
Cornish name
But they're all unusual - will be interesting to see how their names affect them - especially the Roman name - no, it's not Spartacus! :-D

Strangely, I've noticed a lot of racists have foreign surnames. :-|
I do point this out to them :-D

I hope you feel better soon, Allan :-D :-D <3

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jul 2018 01:50

Interesting article, Allan - and how I view things!
I applied for a bursary for graduate teaching in the '90's, and was told, unless I was male, or of an 'ethnic minority', I wouldn't get the grant!
Fortunately, this didn't make me either sexist or racist, just depressed, and in awe of such childishness.

As a silver haired old woman with cats, I can't retire for another 4 years, but am, apparently 'past my best', and should accept what life throws at me.
Unfortunately for those re-roofing my council house, I remember what the 'delegation of 3' said when they visited, after I informed them, I had a right of privacy, and why was there scaffolding in my back garden, without my permission?
'Oh - we forgot to inform you' was the response, followed by promises.
I believe they regret that now.
I can't be bothered with 'niceties' when people drop their litter in a hedge in the belief I won't see it.
Tomorrow, (when they've finished the job, I'm not stupid) I will inform them that this 'old lady' worked on the extension of Sumburgh Airport, as PA to the site manager, and this behaviour was unacceptable, and due to increased H & S rules is even more unacceptable now.

I get very peed off at those who 'assume'. :-| :-| :-|

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 14 Jul 2018 07:50

Bob, Maggie, we had the same conversation regarding 'cis' the other day. OH looked it up and then we both had a quiet, puzzled moment. On the one hand we hear cries of 'freedom to be yourself' and, on the other, the attaching of a label to an arbitrary group, so that group can then demand rights and 'be offended'. Weird. I hate labels. 'A person' seems to be a description that suits everyone.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jul 2018 09:33

Agree, Sheila.
Some appear to believe that labeling 'empowers' them somehow.
Everyone is different - it's always been that way,
Some differences were/are more acceptable to society in general, but understanding, tolerance education and respect is what's needed, not constant labeling.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Jul 2018 09:35

Why the need to make up another label? Hetro(sexual) has been around for decades.

David

David Report 14 Jul 2018 14:04

Just why people want to categorize people to the far end of a fart beats me :-S

But the physical and verbal abuse IS reprehensible Maggie, without a doubt.