General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cheap Jam

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 2 Aug 2018 10:26

We decided we would like blackcurrant jam this year but don't have enough bushes to make it from the garden so I asked oh to go in the farm shop and see if they had any yet. If they did, I asked him to get about three punnets, as we had with the gooseberries.

Well, I think he must have caught the very beginning of the season because he came home with three tiny, tiny punnets at two pounds seventy- something EACH!

They yielded about ten and a half ounces of fruit.

I think we had better spread it very sparingly on our toast!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 2 Aug 2018 11:07

I bet it will be tasty though. It had better be.!

Nothing on the nearby bushes that you can forage?
I thought of you and your jam-making when I saw a tree of wild plums. Some of the fruit were falling, so I picked up a couple, took them home and washed them and they were ripe and sweet.

Caroline

Caroline Report 2 Aug 2018 14:18

Bless him at least he tried...and got the right fruit :-D

Kay????

Kay???? Report 2 Aug 2018 21:18

//Red &Blackcurrants have almost finished up our allotment...a few stragglers remain on the bushes of some plots.

I've been picking blackberries for about 2 weeks now and still more to come from one bush that flowered late.

I freeze them for crumble and give loads away. :-D

David

David Report 3 Aug 2018 20:01

I recall enjoying your thread on Chutney, you had loads of it.

Did you eventually eat it ? or swap it ? or give some away ?

Sharron

Sharron Report 3 Aug 2018 20:31

Can't remember. It's probably still festering in the cupboard.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 4 Aug 2018 00:09

I made my first blackcurrant jam last week and it was very tasty.
My neighbour offered me some blackcurrants and rather hastily I said great!

She left a huge bag of blackcurrants on my doorstep and it took me 2 1/2hrs to destalk them.
Took longer than strawberry jam as I had to boil for longer. Eventually got 4 standard jam jars out of the fruit.
I gave my neighbour a jar and she said would you like some more? I politely declined. Never had a task that really I loathed although peeling prawns from years ago late at night was equally loathesome!

Florence
in the hebrides :-)