General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Has it happened?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 7 Aug 2018 11:56

I may have missed it but, can anybody tell me if the ants have flown yet this year?

David

David Report 7 Aug 2018 12:27

Flown Sharron ? the one in our neighborhood walk, or rather march :-)

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 7 Aug 2018 12:31

They have around here Sharron, damn nuisance things :-| :-| :-|

Sharron

Sharron Report 7 Aug 2018 12:31

One day a year, all the ants fly, you must have missed them.

I like to sit in the garden and watch the dragon flies hunting them.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Aug 2018 13:05

It was July 4th - and they upset Wimbledon :-D

https://www.mirror.co.uk/science/what-flying-ant-day-2018-10742632

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Aug 2018 13:28

And 23 July as well as more recent days. It’s a pity they can’t synchronise by region.

Jane

Jane Report 7 Aug 2018 13:47

Touch wood we haven't had the flying Ants 'so far'.Which is most unusual .Plenty of others though on and amongst the patio slabs. The cat always seems to like to lie where they are all are :-S then I have to get the cat brush out :-S

Bunnyboo

Bunnyboo Report 7 Aug 2018 14:48

No flying ants but an abundance of fly flies! They're just awful this year despite fly pens, spray, horrible sticky papers (yuk!!) and fly swats still the bu###s keep coming!!! Wasps have been a problem too. I've been stung! but thankfully not OH, (imagine the fuss!!) I've got a wasp trap, and have made others out of jam jars. We've caught heaven knows how many and still they keep coming!! Hopefully they'll disappear when the weather breaks!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Aug 2018 16:11

Bee ants have been their usual activity on my patio
We always see lots of brick dust along the patio where there is a crack below the damp course

I use it say to hubby if they are eating the mortar between the bricks then house wall could collapse!!

So last year and this I bought some ant bait boxes , you flick off three of the sections and then put the box in one of the runs . The idea is the ants will walk in the openings and pick up the powder and take it back to the nest where it will kill off ants

Wasn't very hopefully it would work. Especially as I had the usual intake inside the patio doors with no ideas how they were getting in
Lots of stamped corpses and ant killer spray and got rid inside

AND after many years of ant infestation on the patio the bulk of em have gone
No brickdust so that also seems to have sorted

Get some wanting to feed on the tortoise plate of food but mostly they seem to have gone
Any seen get stamped on so maybe the nest will get the message

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 7 Aug 2018 16:35

Yes Maggie, we were staying in Winchester on 4 July and that is when they flew there. But not at home, that was later in the month(can't remember which date that was).

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Aug 2018 17:11

It was Sunday 22nd July up here in Teesside. Our town centre was awash with them and people were literally running around like mad things trying to get away from them. I have never seen so many in one place before and the local Savers shop was inundated with requests for insect repellent spray.

Kath. x