General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Frank Chapman

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lutaz

Lutaz Report 17 Aug 2018 22:24

My name is Simon Walker does anybody know of a Frank Chapman he appears to have just about everybody in my tree in his, I have tried contacting Frank but I have had know response as yet, I feel that Mr Chapman knows more about my family than I do, any help would be appreciated.
Walker / Bateson

greyghost

greyghost Report 17 Aug 2018 22:50

Hi Simon,

If you've tried to contact Frank Chapman and had no reply, there may be not much you can do about it.

Have you checked your Sent messages to see if the green envelope icon is still there or not. If it is then your message hasn't as yet even been opened. If it's gone, then your message has been opened but not replied to.

GR never remove trees from the site, unless a member tells them to, no matter whether they've been worked on or not for ages.

Members may have just used the site to build a tree not wanting contact, they may have changed email address so your message can't be delivered to them and remains in the GR system, they may be too busy, ill, deceased or just not interested any longer.

On the other hand people do get replies after months.

Frank may be a relative with a vested interest in the same people as you, he may have just followed a married in line, or he may be a name collector with little to back up anything.

Island

Island Report 18 Aug 2018 10:50

There's a woman on here who has both sides of my extended family and beyond in her tree. So much so that you'd think I really must know her :-0 I don't and don't want to. Obsessive name collector :-\

Lutaz

Lutaz Report 20 Aug 2018 21:51

Hi,
Thank you both for your comments, I think I will have to put it down as not to be and move on.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 Aug 2018 22:12

Like Island, I have had a 'name collector' who, when the GR system failed, managed to see my tree.
I'd only answered a question he'd asked about my father's stepfather - so no 'real' relation at all - and my tree was open to him.
He'd copied down quite a bit of my ancestry before I realised, and manually closed my tree - unfortunately (for him, and others who believe his tree) he mixed up quite a few of the Hampshire and Suffolk ancestors - I haven't told him - he's the fool! :-D