General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Need to be strong

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 26 Aug 2018 15:46

Oh dear, got the urges again and that faraway look in my eyes.

When I was finishing that patchwork bedspread I was buying charm packs which are packs of 5" squares of cotton from which to cut the patches at ten to twelve pounds each. Now I have been looking at the Range site and they have them for six pounds.

That last quilt took me forty-two years. I really do need to be strong and overcome the need to start another, even if I do already have a lot of fabric to use up!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 26 Aug 2018 15:58

Why not make patchwork cushion covers?

Sharron

Sharron Report 26 Aug 2018 16:13

Why not indeed?

Because I would not stop at cushion cover size, I would be steaming on regardless.

I am totally unable to tell the difference between scratching my bum and tearing a lump out of it!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 26 Aug 2018 16:51

Treat youself to a day out then

https://americanmuseum.org/about-the-museum/collections/quilts-textiles/

Sharron

Sharron Report 26 Aug 2018 17:05

We don't post on each others threads. Remember?

It was your suggestion and it suits me very well.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 26 Aug 2018 17:13

I just thjought that this was right up your street that's all.
They have an excellent tea shop n cakes too - my mum loved going there (museum and tea shop) though my old man preferred the George at nearby Norton St Philip. The inn is one of the few galleried inns remaining in England.

To be or not to be .....

Sharron

Sharron Report 26 Aug 2018 17:16

Start your own thread about it then.

Caroline

Caroline Report 26 Aug 2018 17:50

Be superhuman....make another one and live to be a ripe old age :-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 26 Aug 2018 19:01

The trick is to not lave it on top of the wardrobe for thirty years.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 26 Aug 2018 19:43

Make some quilted padded placemats and sell them or a raffleprize at the Lunch,or patch bags for,knitting needles,pegs.small enough not to get bored doing it.

Sharron

Sharron Report 26 Aug 2018 20:01

You are not supposed to be making suggestions, you are supposed to be saving me from myself.

I need to be told that I don't need more fabric, not encouraged to do things to give myself an excuse to buy some more.

Caroline

Caroline Report 26 Aug 2018 21:57

Use what you've got to make yourself an outfit...make sure it looks weird and then you'll never make another one again!!

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 26 Aug 2018 22:05

You could make me a waistcoat. I love a good "weskit" and have a really expensive one made to measure in the Piccadilly arcade (Sir is a little portly for one off the peg, were his words) made from ecclesiastic cloth. Cost me a weeks wages.

Sharron

Sharron Report 26 Aug 2018 22:11

Which you wore once?

My grandad used to go off up the pub on a Sunday night sometimes in his suit of weskits.

Are you asking me to make you a patchwork one?

Caroline

Caroline Report 26 Aug 2018 23:17

Oh Bob that would be nice wouldn't it...

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 26 Aug 2018 23:27

:-D :-D :-D

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 27 Aug 2018 17:29

For a short time only, I have changed my profile picture to show said weskit.

Sharron

Sharron Report 27 Aug 2018 17:47

Bit John Virgo .

Caroline

Caroline Report 27 Aug 2018 18:17

Wow Bob...what can we say :-D