General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Membership - Leavers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 29 Aug 2018 16:45

If someone leaves Genes Reunited is their tree and it's contents deleted?

I've sent a couple of messages recently and not received a response - have those people left the group perhaps?

Paul

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Aug 2018 17:33

No it's not
The member has to delete their tree. If they don't renew subs so no longer a member their tree just stays as it was

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 29 Aug 2018 17:36

If those who have left change their email address and don't update it on here they won't receive any notifications.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Aug 2018 18:05

GR never removes any trees, except on the very rare occasions that they have permanently banned a member because of their conduct. I know of about two such bannings since I joined in 2004, there may have been a handful more ............ the conduct really does have to contravene site rules! Of the two I know about one was behaviour on the Boards and the other was harassment of another member by pm.

It is up to the member to delete their tree(s), or to give a close family member or friend the instructions on how to do it in the event of death or inability to continue.

For this reason, I keep a little black address book by the computer with details of all sites that I am a member of or have subscribed to, and have instructed my OH and daughter that they are to go through that if I can no longer do it, cancel all subscriptions,and delete everything I might have put up eg on GR or Ancestry.

Mind you, there have been people who said they eventually got a reply as much as 2 years later :-0

BTW, Paul ....... have you checked your Sent Messages to see if any of the messages have actually been opened??

Go to Messages on the next to top line at the top of your screen, click on Sent Messages

If there is a green envelope next to the name, the message has not been opened.

If there is no envelope, the message has been opened.

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 30 Aug 2018 06:13

Sylvia isnt it a case of only being able to answer a message if you are a paid member. You can add your tree free without joining?

Paul

Paul Report 30 Aug 2018 08:22

Thank you for all you kind and informative responses.

Sylvia thanks for the tip about read messages. My most recent message has been opened, since there is no green envelope - hoorah!

The previous six have not, they were all on the same subject where I am trying to trace relatives of my step-father. I've put his details in the subject title perhaps people see that, have no idea who the person is and don't bother to look at the full message then?

Regards

Paul

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 30 Aug 2018 09:53

Paul
Some people have extensive trees and add names that might not be direct relatives. That could be the reason they haven’t replied or they are not full members so can’t reply to you

Island

Island Report 30 Aug 2018 10:49

Quinsgran non paying members CAN reply to messages, however they cannot instigate initial contact.
You are right about `extensive trees` though :-(

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Aug 2018 20:08

Quinsgran ..............

it's the other way round

Only paid members can instigate messages to new contacts.

Both paid and non-paid (Free) members can respond to such messages.

I have regular contact with one banned member by virtue of the fact that we exchanged pms before that banning happened ;-)

Of course, some Free members might not realise they have a message, especially if they have changed their email address and not notified GR

I sometimes wonder whether that is one of the main eeasons why contacts do not respond ......

...... with another major reason being that the contact has died or become incapacitated, or just lost interest and pays no interest to emails from GR (or consigned GR to Junk Mail!)

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 2 Sep 2018 08:58

Ok Thanks