General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Animal close encounters

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Caroline

Caroline Report 1 Sep 2018 01:54

This evening sitting in the backyard with my husband quietly talking, not quite dark yet....I hear a slight noise to my left...I turn my head to see a skunk literally walk under my chair...manage to not yell out but keeping same tone mention this fact to him..we both sit still, it walks on by...thank goodness the normally very loud neighbours weren't around or my phone didn't go off.

So anyone else had a fun close encounter?

Allan

Allan Report 1 Sep 2018 02:52

An encounter like that is not to be sniffed at :-D

I know a joke about skunks and it is perfectly clean. I have posted it on this site previously :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Sep 2018 03:39

We used to have a skunk who had a path between our house and the neighbour, but closer to our house. He took that once or twice a week.

We only found out when something scared him and he let fire ........... right under our bedroom window.

He did it several times, once when our daughter was sleeping in the basement with her husband ..... she stormed up the stairs wanting to know what we'd been up to.

"Just the neighbourhood skunk, dear"!!

Caroline

Caroline Report 1 Sep 2018 04:33

Oh we have lots of skunks in the area and often regret having the windows open at night. Often on walks or sitting there you'll see them and clap your hands to "warn them" you're there.....this tonight was interesting :-) See them every now and then in the daytime too......funny thing it didn't actually smell they usually do have a lingering cologne...

Allan :-D :-D

David

David Report 1 Sep 2018 07:00

Smaller sized animal, we leave cat food out for strays and often are visited by

hedgehogs. On one occasion we were privileged to be visited by three. And we

get the occasional fox, skinny creatures.

Allan

Allan Report 1 Sep 2018 09:44

Our normal visitors and residents are the bob tailed lizard. We have about six at the moment. My avatar is of one of them :-D

We are also visited by several bird species, including the 'twenty eights' which love to eat my chillies before I can harvest them :-|

Caroline

Caroline Report 1 Sep 2018 12:43

My sister in the UK has started getting visits from a badger.

Sharron

Sharron Report 1 Sep 2018 14:11

We don't seem to see many hedgehogs any more.

They used to come in and feed from the cat plates which was fine if you were not wanting to go to bed and they thought they might just get under the table and set a spell.

David

David Report 1 Sep 2018 14:22

Close encounters with more stray / feral cats than I can recall.

Over the years several have moved in.

Caroline

Caroline Report 1 Sep 2018 15:11

Oh they can be fun at times!

Sharron

Sharron Report 1 Sep 2018 15:49

I always think it such a shame that skunks stink. They look like lovely little creatures.

In my twenties, with nothing better to do and after a somewhat convivial lunch, a group of us might pop along to the little zoo in Hotham Park at Bognor just to see the skunk.

Caroline

Caroline Report 1 Sep 2018 15:54

Some people have kept them as pets once the sac is removed, and yes they look lovely like a weird cat...but boy when they stink....if one is run over in the area you smell it everywhere.

Sharron

Sharron Report 1 Sep 2018 16:20

What do they eat?

Caroline

Caroline Report 1 Sep 2018 17:11

The white grubs in my grass...but only after digging massive craters to find them LOL
I assume any grubs, worms etc...I could Google it but I'll leave that to others...

Sharron

Sharron Report 1 Sep 2018 17:17

I could do it myself really.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Sep 2018 17:22

......... and you had better hope a pet doesn't meet a skunk.

Or that you run over one with your car

I hear that bathing your dog in tomato juice is effective ......... perhaps better to say MIGHT be effective!

Just another reason to only have indoor cats over here.

plus .............. I don't think a cat would take very kindly to being bathed :-D

I once met a pet skunk ............... way back in time, we went to a party on an island just south of the border here, and they had a pet skunk. It was very nice and quite cuddly, but I was VERY wary

Another guy on the same island on another trip had a pet tarantula .......... but that's another story!!

Caroline

Caroline Report 1 Sep 2018 17:32

A friend walking her two usually very loud dogs the other week, for once they were quiet...they happened upon a skunk..all tail raised....nothing....it must have already spent it's load elsewhere for the night.

I've heard Tomato juice too not sure how good it is.

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 1 Sep 2018 17:56

I wonder where the saying 'drunk as a skunk' came from , never knew skunks visited pubs :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 1 Sep 2018 18:03

They help to keep the peace. Yo wouldn't pick a fight with a skunk would you?

Caroline

Caroline Report 1 Sep 2018 18:06

They will eat fruit etc maybe they can get drunk on overripe fruit??