General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hot Water

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Sep 2018 13:17

A headline in the local paper today stated that a mother of two was left without hot water for two weeks.

Well, I can think of at least two mothers of ten in my family who were left with no hot or even running water for whole lifetimes.

Dermot

Dermot Report 6 Sep 2018 14:51

Sharron - Likewise - hence the local expression: 'The kettle was always on the boil over an open fireplace fuelled by turf & odd bits of wood.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 7 Sep 2018 00:55

My grandmother raised her family in a little old cottage in a small Welsh village.

They thought it really 'modern' when they no longer had to go to the village pump to get water, but could just go outside to the standpipe near the entrance to the garden.

My gran was particular about cleanliness though and the lifestyle didn't seem to do the children any harm. Mum died at 94, her sister at 92 and another is alert and bright at almost 97.

I do like readily available hot water though.

Sharron

Sharron Report 7 Sep 2018 11:41

Until I was ten and we aspired to live in a council house, we had a well across the road and a bucket lavatory.

That was the house in which my great grandmother had raise her ten children.

Caroline

Caroline Report 7 Sep 2018 12:29

It is "funny" how todays must have/can't live without weren't even in previous generations dreams.