General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Priorities

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 29 Sep 2018 11:59

Today was the day of the Australian Football League (AFL) Grand Final which, I suppose, can be compared to the FA Cup final in the UK.

Fair enough, one of the two WA teams, the Eagles, were in the final against an Eastern State's team, and won the match.

Fair enough and good on them :-)

Come the evening news the report on the match, which was the first item on the news, lasted for over seventeen minutes.

The next item about the tsunami in Indonesia, in which over four hundred people lost their lives received all of two minutes coverage before the news switched back to the AFL :-0

Now I admit to being biased as I detest most sports, but when does a sporting activity take precedence over a tragic event happening on our own doorstep :-|

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 29 Sep 2018 12:02

What! No mention of the Swans. Have they gone to pot since moving to Sydney?

Aussies and priorities spring to mind, Allan.

Allan

Allan Report 29 Sep 2018 12:39

No, Joy, today's opponents were Collingwood

The only real Swans I know are the Black Swans of WA :-)

We have a breeding area for them here in Australind :-D :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 29 Sep 2018 12:48

You're right Allan no sporting event is that big so it shouldn't have been before such a tragic event, nor so much more coverage. It's not like there are whole channels for sports on TV or anything!

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 29 Sep 2018 12:51

Must be a wonderful sight, Allan, when there are masses of them together. Can't think of the right word but I know it's not a gaggle of swans; flock? Swim? Not often I'm lost for words, I must be getting old!

South Melbourne Football Club - always known as the Swans, Allan, of which my son was a huge fan.

They moved and became Sydney Swans after which it was never the same for Sth Melbourne fans.

Collingwood, known as the Magpies (are they still?).

Strange innit because now my son and older grandson are Magpie supporter (Newcastle).

It makes for an interesting time when we're all together because other grandson and my son-in-law are Black Cats (Sunderland) supporters.

A bit of variety does you good. :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 29 Sep 2018 12:55

Caroline is right, of course.

Allan

Allan Report 29 Sep 2018 22:13

Joy, Collingwood are still known as the Magpies or just the 'Pies for short.

WA has two teams, the West Coast Eagles and the Fremantle Dockers.

As stated in my opening post, I'm not a fan of most sports, but it does make me laugh when East coast teams complain about having to travel to Perth for matches which for most of them means one or two trips per season whilst both the Western teams seem to be travelling every other week without any ill effects.

It's a bit like the laws of physics experienced by many people in Bunbury, including myself; the distance from any place Perth to Bunbury is far greater than the distance from Bunbury to that place :-D

Just a brief mention again this morning about the Tsunami whilst it has just been announced that the AFL Grand Final match is to be repeated on TV on at least five occasions throughout the week for those who missed it yesterday :-S