General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Would you give access?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 5 Oct 2018 07:06

A new delivery system is to be introduced by Waitrose.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45747673

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Oct 2018 07:24

I heard this on the radio this morning.
My answer is, ummm - NO! :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 5 Oct 2018 07:59

No way

How do they vet the delivery drivers ??

If anything goes missing how would your house insurance deal with it ??

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Oct 2018 08:08

No. Security aspects aside, their ‘away’ wouldn’t be yours. You’d spend the next week trying to find the products.

Sharron

Sharron Report 5 Oct 2018 10:01

Probably.

I don't think I have anything anybody would want to steal.

The only 'quality' items I have spent money on are the bed and the cooker. There is nothing to sell and there is not much interesting business to mind either.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 5 Oct 2018 10:26

Well as I live in a rural area with little crime, it could be done. However I wouldn't want it for myself. Most people that shop on line here can only get Tesco and they are already at home when it its delivered. Most of the people are either elderly so it helps if they are immobile or mothers with young children.

Most people my age prefer to shop themselves.

I don't have anything high value either worth stealing but letting someone have access to this property...no. Don't think my landlord would agree to it anyway.
Where exactly will they put the goods away? they don't know where everything goes do they?

In the towns and cities on the mainland, I can see problems occurring. As someone said,"are the delivery van drivers going to be vetted"?

Even if they are wearing cameras, I wouldn't want someone in my house having a quick nosey..so no not for me thanks.

Florence in the hebrides

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 5 Oct 2018 11:06

They can come here anytime ;-)

May have a problem with any frozen produce though ;-) :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Oct 2018 22:41

That's a point Pat - what if you order stuff that needs to be frozen - but your freezer's full :-S

I could take out things I intend eating over the next week - but a delivery driver couldn't!

Florence61

Florence61 Report 5 Oct 2018 23:33

I don't think this idea has been thoroughly thought through. What and where would the delivery man do with food he couldn't fit in the fridge or freezer then?

Florence in the hebrides :-S

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Oct 2018 23:56

Do 'executives' ever think things through?
The poor delivery drivers could be falsely accused of theft, too.

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Oct 2018 15:42

You would probably have a look in your freezer before you sent the order, wouldn't you?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 Oct 2018 16:44

............ :-S :-S

Probably not!

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 6 Oct 2018 18:45

Rural area so I do appreciate the online shopping facility - but surely most of us with a bit of planning ahead can book a delivery time when we know we'll be in!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 Oct 2018 20:46

I wonder if they would expand the service so that people who find difficulty shopping in stores eg. elderly or disabled could have goods delivered when they were at home.?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 Oct 2018 21:56

That's a point, Gwyn,
Rather than just unpack and leave it - put it away! :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 7 Oct 2018 10:54

And in the paper, what about the ones like the driver who refused to carry the pregnant lady's stuff upstairs and stood and watched her struggle with it. If they didn't like the access would they just dump it in a heap inside the door?

Caroline

Caroline Report 7 Oct 2018 12:56

So just order the delivery where they'll put it away for you when you're out....hide in the bathroom or wherever when they turn up...they let themselves in and put it all away for you whilst you spy on them to make sure...oh and leave a detailed list of where everything should go :-)

Florence61

Florence61 Report 7 Oct 2018 13:54

My mum is disabled and yet when she gets taxi home from the supermarket, the driver lifts it out onto the pavement and says hes not insured to carry up her stairs to her front door!!

Florence in the hebrides