General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Jellyfish in the garden!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 6 Oct 2018 11:07

Beautiful day here and lovely sunshine for a change. Calm before the storm tomorrow.

So I was busy planting all me bulbs and clearing out dead summer flowers when my daughter who decided to give the grass one last cut shouted, "mum there are 2 jelly fish on the grass."

I laughed and said,"dont be so ridiculous." I went over to investigate and what I saw I have never seen before. " blobs that were kinda grey white/opaque in colour. They were quite thick about 2 inches wide and circular shaped.

Not sure if it was something living, I took a small twig and gently poked it. It didn't move, so I knew it wasn't living. I pushed over to see the other side but nothing to identify it.

So 2 blobs of white jelly close to each other.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what they are or has anyone else seen anything similar as I'm baffled.

Florence in the "sunny" Hebrides...well just for today!!

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 6 Oct 2018 11:23

Not the answer to what it is, the professionals don't know but you'll know it's elsewhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_jelly

Von

Von Report 6 Oct 2018 11:38

Did you take a photograph? ;-)

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 6 Oct 2018 12:11

Tree droppings Florence. :-D :-D :-D

Hope you had some loo paper handy. ;-) ;-) ;-)

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 6 Oct 2018 12:38

If you google "jelly blobs on grass" there are lots of choices.

It seems that Pat is right, and the professionals don't know what it is, but you are by no means alone in finding some in your garden. :-)

Florence61

Florence61 Report 6 Oct 2018 15:09

Thanks peeps.yes I have now googled. Mine are similar but larger and not small blobs that look like frog spawn. Im going to see if they are still there as we just had a downpour and take a photo.

:-D :-D :-D@ Joy

Thanks for your replies

Florence in the hebrides

Florence61

Florence61 Report 6 Oct 2018 17:24

Its actually upside down because its looks like a heart! Still there after the rain though.
very intriguing tho and maybe its been on the grass for a few days but I never noticed.

Florence in the hebrides :-)

Kay????

Kay???? Report 6 Oct 2018 21:12

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/outdoors/articles/jelly/

Hi Florence although an old article 2009 a good read and not so uncommon.......

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 6 Oct 2018 21:40

How fascinating!

Lizxx