General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Eye opener this morning

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 10 Oct 2018 15:16

Was talking to a friend this morning. Neither of us like waste and try to be as green as we can. As you know, I knot cotton dishcloths because I was under the impression that I was being as environmentally friendly as I could be and that they would compost when they had finished their useful life.

She was telling me that she had seen a documentary that I had missed about the fashion industry and the destructive impact of cotton.

I have since Googled abut it and am horrified by the impact that cotton, which I thought was pretty ecologically benign, is having on the world.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Oct 2018 16:48

That was an eye opener

https://www.ecooutfitters.co.uk/blog/the-environmental-cost-of-non-organic-cotton/

If you still have conventional knitting cotton, you may as well use it. The damage was done much earlier. Apart from organic cotton, no doubt at a higher cost, what’s the answer?

Sharron

Sharron Report 10 Oct 2018 17:01

I will use it but this was the first I had ever thought that cotton might have an environmental impact as great as it has.

It has set me thinking about it's historic impact on the world too.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 10 Oct 2018 17:21

I saw that documentary sharrron. It was a real shock seeing all the cotton waste pouring into the rivers and waterways.

The lady interviewer tried so hard to get the big companies to talk but they wouldn't.
Has made me think twice about where and what I buy.

Never realised cotton was an environmental and ecological problem til I saw the programme.

Just use up what you have left Sharron, might has well.

Florence in the hebrides

Sharron

Sharron Report 10 Oct 2018 18:41

I think I might carry on anyway because my knitted cotton dishcloths are probably still greener than any alternative.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Oct 2018 20:28

I try to buy only cotton clothes because I find them most comfortable in the high temperatures we often get over here, and also warmer in winter.

We can't win, can we?

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 11 Oct 2018 01:16

I watched that programme 'Fashion's Dirty Secrets' It was horrifying and really concerned me that cotton could pose such a high problem. I prefer cotton to man-made fabrics so might have to have a rethink.

Stacey is great at finding out about all sorts of different subjects. She is currently on Strictly. She puts 100% into everything she does.

Lizx

David

David Report 16 Oct 2018 06:45

Some of the smallest muscles in the body must be used to open the eyes ?

Bunnyboo

Bunnyboo Report 16 Oct 2018 16:28

Why is this relevant to a conversation about cotton?!!!

Sharron

Sharron Report 16 Oct 2018 16:59

Title I think, Magpie. Eye opener.

Bunnyboo

Bunnyboo Report 16 Oct 2018 18:23

Oh I see!!!! :-S

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Oct 2018 19:31

Eye Eye! :-D :-D