General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Figs

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 Nov 2018 13:51

Does anybody on here have experience of owning a fig tree?

My Brown Turkey has produced little fruits this year and we finally picked them the other day and I was wondering if those little figs should have been left on the tree to become next years big figs.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 23 Nov 2018 14:03

Out here you pick the fruit annually as it ripens, if not picked the fruit drops to the floor.

Caroline

Caroline Report 23 Nov 2018 14:23

Pretty sure my mom (in UK) picks them yearly.

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 Nov 2018 14:24

I am not sure where I got the idea that those might be the ones that are ready for next year.

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 23 Nov 2018 18:56

I had one in my last house (in N London) and some years we were lucky with ripe fruit, others not so. A friend from Middlesbrough took a cutting around 30 years ago and it is still going strong in his garden. Fruiting is spasmodic, or rather, ripening, is spasmodic up north. They can also grow rather large. My neighbour has one, and as it hangs over my fence I claim any fruit on my side.

Harswell

Harswell Report 23 Nov 2018 22:41

The small fruit on Brown Turkey figs at the moment are next years fruit. My tree is covered with these, so I hope to have a better crop next year,Although this years was very good. The tree grows two crops at a time.

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 Nov 2018 23:45

Oh dear. There are no little fruits left on the tree so it doesn't look very promising for next year does it?