General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

retiring RAF Tornados to make a final fly past.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Feb 2019 16:41

RAF Tornados To Make Final Flypast ??

Three days of farewell flypasts by RAF Tornados will take place as the jet is retired from service. The jets will criss-cross locations across the UK over the 19-21 February.

Find out more ? https://bit.ly/2TMnAkq

Kay????

Kay???? Report 19 Feb 2019 13:18

(Image: GETTY/RAF)
Tuesday, February 19
1.15pm – 1.30pm: Kendrew Barracks (RAF Cottesmore) – National Memorial Arboretum – DECA Stafford – RAF Cosford
1.30pm – 1.45pm: RAF Shawbury – DECA Sealand
1.45pm – 2.00pm: RAF Valley
2.15pm: – 2.30pm: BAES Warton – BAES Samlesbury
2.30pm – 2.45pm: RAF Spadeadam
2.45pm – 3.00pm: RAF Leeming – RAF Topcliffe – RAF Linton-On-Ouse
3pm – 3.30pm: RAF Waddington – RAF College Cranwell – Royal Air Force Coningsby
3.15pm – 3.35pm: RAF Donna Nook – RAF Holbeach – RAF Wyton.

Wednesday, February 20
1pm - 1.15pm: RAF Honington
1.15pm - 1.30pm: Imperial War Museum Duxford - Former RAE Bedford – Cranfield Airfield - RAF Halton - RAF High Wycombe
1.30pm - 1.45pm: RAF Benson - HQ Land Forces, Andover, MOD Boscombe Down
2pm - 2.15pm: RAF Pembrey - MOD St Athan - Cardiff Airport
2.15pm - 2.30pm: Rolls Royce Filton - MOD Abbey Wood - MOD Shrivenham - RAF Brize Norton.

Thursday, February 21
11.15am - 11.30am: Leuchars Station
11.30am - 11.45am: RAF Tain
11.45am - 12pm: RAF Lossiemouth.

EST,weather dependant.

Good luck nephew hope you do a great job.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Feb 2019 14:06

Shame we lost our RAF base at the top of the road, maybe they will pass over us on their way somewhere I would have loved to see them

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 19 Feb 2019 14:47

No flight near me in the far south east, but like Ann I would have liked to have seen them.

I hope the weather holds so that many people can see them on their farewell flights.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 19 Feb 2019 16:06

No Flights near me either.

Just wish they would.
UPDATE,,,
A friend has just sent me a video of the flypast over her house near York.

Kense

Kense Report 19 Feb 2019 17:21

How many aircraft?

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 19 Feb 2019 17:27

Kense.There was just 3 in the video .

Kense

Kense Report 19 Feb 2019 17:37

Thanks Sue.

Edit: Sorry about the emoji, which I've now deleted.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 20 Feb 2019 07:11

I don't need a flypast, we have been hearing them for ages as we aren't too far from Marham

Lizx

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Feb 2019 16:33

You won't hear them much more then Liz.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 20 Feb 2019 16:36

No flypast here either ..... but luckily close family members including me got a wave several years ago. 'Twas a lovely treat that we'll probably never see again. <3

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 20 Feb 2019 18:54

Indeed not, Ann. We often have the Red Arrows fly in to Norwich airport, and I can recognise their sound and see them circle the field at the bottom of the garden, it's wonderful.

Lizx

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 20 Feb 2019 20:40

remember about 30 years ago flying slope soaring gliders at Borough Hill, and the hill being circled by two A10's....pilots waving at us!!

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 21 Feb 2019 06:28

Not that close, Bobtanian, but a wonderful tipping of the wing as he flew overhead. We were expecting it but it was still a sight for sore eyes. Fab! :-D <3

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 21 Feb 2019 08:54

The decision to take the highly capable GR4 out of service is purely and simply one of budget cuts so as to accommodate the F35/carrier fantasy. It has also annoyed NATO allies who will still be flying the GR4 notably Germany.

The Mod could at least facilitate access to airframes and spares.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 21 Feb 2019 10:27

I can remember many moons ago we were holidaying up in Scotland and we were travelling across country. We had taken a road that took us down one side of a valley to the valley floor then up the other side. We'd just got to the valley floor when out of the corner of my eye saw this plane heading straight for us :-0 It was that low that both OH and I both instinctively ducked as it went over the car:-0. Then as we were going up the side of the valley we saw another plane, this time below us, which OH recognised as a Tornado.....somehow we had got caught up in their lowflying exercise :-0 :-D

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 21 Feb 2019 10:44

The RAF Tornadoes have been with the RAF for 40 years and have seen far more action than their German counterparts. They have only just returned to UK having been part of the 3 sorties a day over Syria for at least a couple of years as well as all the other problems during the 80s, 90s and 2000s. They have been in constant combat since 1991.The Typhoon has gradually replaced it and is in action now.

The RAF has been cannibalising some Tornadoes to get parts for years to keep some flying in action.

Because of their constant use the air frames could be out of hours.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 21 Feb 2019 11:37

The Luftwaffe mainly want the avionics in order to conform with NATO rules.
Plus spares and engines. Germany has rejected the F35 as too expensive. It is lukewarm on the Typhoon as well - high cost low capability.
As ukgov want Germany to use Typhoons they have, so far, refused to sell the GR4s as a job lot which could keep Berlin happy well into the 2020s.