General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

duplicate church marriagez

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jean

Jean Report 3 Mar 2019 19:12

I have the marriage certificates of my gggrandparents who married in 1877 in one london church and in another london church the following year. All the details seem the same. It's most puzzling and I would like to know if anyone else has come across this and if it would have been legal.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Mar 2019 20:05

Was your gt gt grandfather a member of the military by any chance??

If they married without him getting permission first, then the marriage would not be considered legal. He would ahve to get permission and then they would have to re-marry.

Was one of both of them underage (under 21) at the time of the first marriage? If they did not have parents' permission, then the first marriage could have been annulled.

Were the two churches of different denominations??

Kense

Kense Report 4 Mar 2019 15:59

I had a similar problem which was discussed in the thread below. The second was a register office wedding. Never came to a definite conclusion though. The certificates can be viewed on keepsafe using keyword Pantall.

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1340418