General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Substitute

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 1 Aug 2019 09:03

Two or three times a year I make up a Sainsbury's order for tinned beans, bleach and stuff I would rather have delivered in a largeish quantity than have to carry home.

Since I was on there this time I ordered some of that not particularly good French apricot jam to make some ice-cream. They could not supply the French apricot one so, rather than put in a jar of decent English stuff, they substituted the apricot with FIG!

Please! I grew up being dose with syrup of figs if I could not produce on time,I am not going to risk it on my toast.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 1 Aug 2019 22:15

I think I might have to try some of that, Sharron. I eat about 3 packets of fig roll biscuits a week so would probably like the jam too

How do you make icecream from jam?

Lizxx

Sharron

Sharron Report 1 Aug 2019 22:24

1pt double cream
1 tin condensed milk
1 jar of chosen jam
1 cup complementary alcohol

Whisk together until thick and ice-cream looking. Freeze.

I have some Amaretto and was going to try it with apricot jam. Lemon curd and Limoncello work very well together, as do lime marmalade and vodka.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Aug 2019 22:58

Nope!
I couldn't get passed making a sandwich or two from the condensed milk :-)
..and then just eating it from the tin...

It does sound delicious, though. :-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 3 Aug 2019 22:48

That sounds nice Sharron.

Maggie, I wouldn't bother wth the bread lol

Lizxx

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Aug 2019 00:45

:-D :-D :-D