General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tintagel

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Aug 2019 09:29

Tintagel has new steps to the ruins of the castle.
The Castle was built by Richard, Earl of Cornwall in the 1230's.
However, he had to 'buy' the castle (swapping it for a manor, and the land of Merthen) from one 'Gervais of Tintagel' - family name, Hornacote - my great times an awful lot grandfather! (and probably great x lots grandfather of thousands more! )

Gervais married young - and died young, but he had one daughter - Sarah, who married Roger de Carminowe.

Rambling

Rambling Report 8 Aug 2019 10:41

I went there many years ago, it had a wonderful atmosphere, a sense of something still 'present'. :-)

Von

Von Report 8 Aug 2019 11:01

Did you watch the bridge being put into place Maggie?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jun/18/new-tintagel-castle-footbridge-recreates-ancient-land-link

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 8 Aug 2019 12:01

How interesting Maggie, from a young age history has always
held my interest and still does.
Thank you Von for sharing that link.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 8 Aug 2019 19:36

I had always wanted to go to Cornwall, but never did until August last year and we visited Tintagel.
It's a magical setting.

I've been following the progress of the new bridge in the English Heritage magazines

Now I would love to go again to see the new bridge joining both parts of the castle site once more.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Aug 2019 23:11

I went to Tintagel when I was about 10 - even then, the steps were scary!
I don't much like the idea of 'timed' tickets, Von.

Further to the story, Roger and Sarah (who was born on Tintagel) lived to the ripe old ages of 77 and 95!
One of their descendants tried to use his Tintagel ancestry in an argument about Coats of Arms:

https://www.britainexpress.com/articles/Heraldry/heraldry1.htm

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 9 Aug 2019 09:33

Maggie

I'm not sure how timed tickets would work either.

The site is large and once through the main entrance , it could be quite some time before one ventured to the new bridge.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Aug 2019 11:28

Timed tickets work at the NT, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

X number of tickets are purchased/issued when you arrive, allowing entry at a certain time. Each group is something like 10 or 15 minutes apart. It helps to stop overcrowding.

As long as the main section of Tintagel can cope, they might have entry by timed ticket only at the bridge.