General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do's and don'ts.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 23 Sep 2022 19:45

While waiting for an operation, eat every 2 hours, no spicey food, chew til it is almost liquid then swallow but worse than that no alcohol only for 8 months max....allegedly.
Easy peasy NOT. lol.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Sep 2022 22:45

Noooooo!

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 24 Sep 2022 08:17

You can do it, ZZzzz. You are no wuss.

Good luck. <3

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Sep 2022 08:19

Hard at first I would guess but hopefully you will get used to it. Good luck <3

Florence61

Florence61 Report 24 Sep 2022 12:58

ZZzzzz bit of a no brainer really! Whats more important? A drink of alcohol or your health?

Hope all goes well.

Since my heart surgery, I am not ever allowed alcohol again as it could kill me with the meds I'm on. It's no big deal. Who needs alcohol to enjoy life!

Florence in the hebrides

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 24 Sep 2022 13:22

Florence1, I have 1 V&T at bedtime, the old pub measure but not every night so hardly an alcoholic, it's in preparation for the op :-) which could be any time between now and April next year.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 Sep 2022 21:05

Good luck, ZZzzz. Hope it is sooner rather than later.

Re the alcohol ........... I had to stop having even one sip after I got an oesophageal ulcer and gastric reflux. I wasn't told to do (that some people are), but I found any wine or drink taster very acidy, and then I got the reflux.

So I stopped.

Now I don't even miss it.

I drink Cranberry juice or water, and since Bl***y Marys came back into fashion, I can have a Virgin Mary if we're out and I really feel like something different.

But even that might be too spicey for you now :-(

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 24 Sep 2022 21:22

I have a very large hiatus rolling / sliding hernia.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 Sep 2022 22:47

Oh dear, not good!

I also have a hiatus hernia, but it doesn't seem to be causing too much trouble as long as I remember to eat a bit more slowly.

No more "boarding house reach" for me :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 25 Sep 2022 16:39

I eat more slowly too and a lot less at a time, hence eat every 2 hours so I can keep it down.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 24 Oct 2022 18:42

I'm practically bringing my dinners up every day now, no matter what it is and some discomfort with it too, another rant over, thanks for reading it.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Oct 2022 03:35

I'm so sorry to hear this. It must be very unpleasant for you. :-(

I do hope that the operation takes place sooner rather than later. <3

Has the doc offered any medication that could help you?? I take omeprazole every morning and ranitidine in the evening to help control the gastric reflux.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 25 Oct 2022 11:15

SylviainCanada, I am on Emuzul for acid reflux and have been for years, I am on liquid gaviscon to to take after dinner to stop food coming back up but doesn't always work.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 25 Oct 2022 11:22

in the UK,there is a preparation Peptac which is cheaper than Gavis.......works well for me

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 25 Oct 2022 11:41

Bontanian, the meds are only supposed to be temporary and I am to have an operation within 7 months, ( but how long is a piece of string )

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 25 Oct 2022 14:37

zzz's

i was at one time living on rennies and gavisgon, until they gave me a endoscopy which found a hiatus hernia... i then was put on omeprozole... which cured the agony but later I developed kidney failure......so now i am using peptac....and eating sensibly....

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 25 Oct 2022 15:32

I've had a few endoscopies but what found it was a Barium meal thing, that was after I had a double GP appointment and told him warts and all what I was going through on a daily basis, I find you really have be persistent with GPs so they listen, similar things happened with my Husband, he had a cancerous mole which they it wasn't till I got involved.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 12 Nov 2022 19:39

I've decided that because I am worse and if I wear fitting but not tight clothes it causes me to be sick too, so unless we are going out I will stay in my night clothes all day. I hope it helps me.