General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Weird question I know but....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 8 Nov 2022 18:35

Does anyone who is hard of hearing have problems hearing what someone has said although they are standing next to you etc.

Allan

Allan Report 8 Nov 2022 20:49

My wife does

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 8 Nov 2022 21:07

I do and with both hearing aids in and adjusted, not ignoring him, I don't do that.

Allan

Allan Report 8 Nov 2022 21:34

My wife does :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 8 Nov 2022 22:00

So you say. :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Nov 2022 01:21

I do, especially with OH!

But I've noticed that a large problem is that most people who think they speak clearly, do not in fact speak as clearly as they think ...... words are slurred, and quite a few letters can be hard for hearing aids to distinguish.

For example ....... b and v. I find it hard to distinguish b, v, w and d

I have a little microphone that can be connected to my hearing aids for him to wear in noisy surroundings (eg, eating out, in shops, in the car, etc). He wears it on a lanyard round his neck, and as long as he puts it on correctly (microphone pointing out) and speaks directly over it, then I can hear him clearly as the extraneous noise is cancelled out. I can also hear other people who are close by.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Nov 2022 20:26

I wear hearing aids and most times I hear speech ok ,but I do find in a crowded area sometimes it’s difficult to filter out the noise and hear a particular voice

Do find too that some people mumble and I can’t make out what they are saying cos they don’t move their mouth much either

Found it difficult at my recent hospital visits hearing the nurses when we were both masked :-)

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 10 Nov 2022 21:36

My husband has very good hearing and doesn't like repeating himself, I'm sure he thinks I should be alert to him just in case he says something, I have told him I don't always hear a whole word, I did say at one point that he should have a temporary hearing loss so he would know what it is like.