General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Question about America.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 9 Nov 2022 21:07

When someone dies, lives alone what is the procedure is there a post mortem, he is a known alcoholic going through a separation/divorce, doesn't want a funeral just his ashes taken to a military cemetery. Is any of that legal?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 Nov 2022 21:15

Are you talking about this being in the USA ?

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 9 Nov 2022 21:18

Yes. :-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Nov 2022 07:12

Possible the best bet is to Google

Don’t think anyone will know off hand tbh :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Nov 2022 08:25

We used to have members in USA but Sylvia in Canada might know, she is the nearest to USA. I think she may also have lived there.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 10 Nov 2022 11:59

I think you might find it varies depending on which state he lives in.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 10 Nov 2022 15:47

I would expect that "taking" (scattering? burying?) the ashes in a military cemetery will require permission from the cemetery.

A post mortem would only be required if the cause of death isn't clear (at least in California, per a Google search - but probably other states too) .
That might depend on whether the person had seen a doctor recently or not, or had a recent diagnosis of some illness likely to cause death.

In the UK there's no requirement for a funeral. A body can just be cremated if that's what's wanted.
However, a funeral director is still needed , to prepare paperwork, and to transport the coffin to the crematorium.

OH's stepmother opted for cremation without a service of any kind - and the family followed her wishes, but felt they hadn't had a proper chance to say a final goodbye.

Cremation with no service is certainly allowed in Florida (see link below from another Google search), and I'm pretty sure it would be allowed elsewhere in the US - because not everyone can afford the full funeral scenario:

Simple Cremation
No Viewing, visitation or services, no hidden fees
$875
https://www.compassionatecremationsflorida.com/pricing

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Nov 2022 18:32

Sorry, I have no idea about dying/burying/funerals etc in the US.

We did live there for a few months, but we were too young to be interested in death rituals. More interested in the fact that the dog catcher was an elected position!

I would imagine that states might vary greatly in requirements.