General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I didn't believe it ................

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Nov 2022 23:25

....... but what I saw was true.

We had a big wind storm earlier this week, and millions of leaves were blown off all the trees around here .......... we have huge maple trees lining both sides of the east-west street, and Japanese flowering cherries on both sides of the north-south cross street.

So, I looked out earlier, and thought I saw the father of our neighbour laboriously raking leaves from their grass into the gutter on the street, and then pushing the pile to behind our car, parked about 2' within our property.

But it's true .................. that is precisely what he has done ..................... big pile of leaves right behind our car, none in the gutter along his son's property.

I was going to go out and ask him nicely (!!!) not to do it, but OH stopped me, saying "he doesn't really know what he's doing, you know."

True, he hasn't really been "with it" for quite a long time, has had 2 strokes, 1 of them major, and is in his mid-80s.

But OH is also in his mid-80s, and I know he'll be out there before the next rains come, raking those da***d leaves out of the gutter to that the drain won't get all clogged.

Rant over!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 12 Nov 2022 00:00

Oh my goodness - we must save the grass, s*d the drains!!

It would be nice if your neighbour (son of the 'cleaner-upper) perhaps bagged the leaves his dad has 'removed' to the gutter.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Nov 2022 00:57

maggie ................. son was bagging sweep-ups earlier in the week. I'm "hoping" he might realise and do the same.

The old guy bought the original house soon after we bought our house back in 1972, so we've known the son since then!

Old man decided to build a new house, then rented out the one here for many years until son married, and then he got the house .......... an old Chinese tradition, There was another house for his older brother.

But father had not taken real good care of the old house, same vintage as ours, and it had to be demolished and a new one built.

Son and our daughter are quite friendly, they were at university together, and I gather that he was asked by her to keep an eye on us, and let her know if anything was going wrong :-S

But the old custom that was common on this street when we originally moved here, of the younger householders helping out the oldies, seems to have disappeared. There are still 3 of us who have been here at least that long, and no-one really seems to help as back then.

Son next door will sweep the snow if we're away, but that is really all. Mind you, he's not very handy anyway ..... that's why father and mother are always helping out!

Caroline

Caroline Report 13 Nov 2022 20:39

Oh that's so annoying....sure the father may not know what he's doing but the son must have noticed surely? It's bad enough being on the East side of the street and having the leaves blow over from the West side onto my lawn, some years they literally never rake a single leaf!! Make sure you tell your daughter what happened maybe it'll feed back to the son! Tell OH to be careful cleaning them up it's hard work and you have another trip coming up :-)