General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Royal Mail deliveries

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 17 Nov 2022 17:22

Royal Mail are said to be asking permission to drop Saturday letter deliveries. That’s OK as we see to be having Sunday deliveries.

Well it was actually only once, recently. I thought our post must have gone to the wrong house and been dropped off the next day. Until I found someone had also had Sunday post and they had actually seen the postie.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 17 Nov 2022 19:38

seems to be a PARCEL post on sundays...? not mail...

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 17 Nov 2022 19:44

Yes, but ours was letters and leaflets :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 17 Nov 2022 22:23

Nameslessone, It will probably happen, I'm too pessimistic to think it won't.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Nov 2022 05:08

We haven't had letter delivery on Saturdays for many years.

Over the last couple of years, our Postal Service seems to have reinstated Parcel Delivery on Saturday and Sunday.

They also own one of the major parcel delivery services in Canada, that once competed against them :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 18 Nov 2022 08:21

That’s what our Royal Mail ought to do if they have enough in the coffers, Sylvia, as the delivery competition is fierce since lockdown, however, the purses of the owners and shareholders of Royal Mail may not be deep enough.

Dropping Saturday deliveries smacks to me of a company unable to compete. I don’t know what others think?

Edit: since, at last reading, the posties themselves owned 10% of the shares, it would be interesting to hear what they think. Also because of this latest move, I wonder whether the majority shareholder (a Czech millionaire) is about to withdraw from the company and invest elsewhere.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Nov 2022 12:02

UK Sunday deliveries depend on where you live. None in my area

https://www.royalmail.com/help/sunday-delivery-geographical-exceptions

Total postcode delivery exceptions:

AB, BT, GY, HS, IM, IV, JE, KW, ZE

Partial postcode delivery exceptions:

DD9, 10, 11
DG5-9
FK17-21
KA27-30
KY10, 14-16
PA20-38, 41-49, 60-78, 80
PH5-9, 11-13, 15-26, 30-50
PO30-41
TD5, 15
TR21-25

Total postcode sending exceptions:

AB, GY, IM, IV, JE

It's also only certain parcels :

".Will letters be delivered on a Sunday?
No, at this time we are focussing on Tracked and Special Delivery items parcels and letterbox-able items only for Sunday delivery."
https://www.royalmail.com/sundaydelivery

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 18 Nov 2022 12:08

I can remember when we had two deliveries a day and a Sunday delivery as well. These days people don't write letters any more. Our post is 80% junk mail, so having no Saturday delivery won't make much difference.

We are lucky in still having a proper Post Office in the village and I was chatting to the Postmistress yesterday. She told me that she and her husband (both fully qualified and registered to run the office) were paid £1200.00 a month by Royal Mail. That's between them, not each. :-(

There is a shop attached, which sells all sorts of useful things, but since lockdown is only taking about £15.00 a day. Before lockdown it was more like £80 - £100 a day. She said they are getting by, but doesn't know how long for. Fortunately her husband is a computer whizz and earns money on the side fixing computers for all the locals.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Nov 2022 13:43

We don’t live anywhere near any of the postcodes mentioned by AG. Our Sunday delivery was a huge surprise and probably a one off.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Nov 2022 15:13

The postcodes copied from the Royal Mail website are where they DON'T deliver.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Nov 2022 15:21

Got that the wrong way round :-\

So, in the 36 years I’ve lived locally I’ve never had a Sunday delivery apart from Christmas. :-S