General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Don't Pull the Plug

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BrianW

BrianW Report 19 Nov 2022 09:31

On the Heat or Eat theme, when you have a bath try leaving the water to go cold so the heat goes into the room.

Why pay to heat several gallons of water and then send that heat down the plug-hole?

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 19 Nov 2022 11:38

precisely ,Brian...same with washing up water...
and after using the oven, why not put some pots of water in there to heat up, to do the washing up with?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 19 Nov 2022 11:48

Condensation?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Nov 2022 12:38

Precisely, Nameslessone!

Someone on TV a few days ago was suggesting the bathwater idea , and my instant thought was condensation.
And if the implication is that the heating's turned off, the condensation isn't going to dry up.

There surely wouldn't be much heat left in the water anyway, after you'd had your bath, and it would become cold quickly.

To save money, water, and energy, have a shower instead of a bath - unless several people are using one lot of bathwater.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 19 Nov 2022 13:30

Turn the water off to the toilet and use the bath water to fill the tank it is surprising how much that can be saved that way.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Nov 2022 14:31

Could be fun Joan :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Nov 2022 18:16

Joan .....

I'm the same, haven't had a bath since 2003 (lots of showers!!), but now we're looking at getting a walk-in bath installed ......

......... they have a door, you walk in, sit on the seat, close and lock the door, most seats seem to be upright but some photos seem to show that you're lower and leaning back, fill the bath with water. When finished, pull the plug to let the water out, then open the door when safe and walk out.

Seems a good idea ............ and there are several funding help we can get. You might be able to get them almost free from your health services! if what I read about help given so seniors can stay in their homes longer in the UK is true.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Nov 2022 20:34

No chance of a bath for me - I've got a wet room.(already here when I moved in)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Nov 2022 20:45

maggie .... that's the other option, of course.

But I still miss that lovely long soak in a bah tub!

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 20 Nov 2022 07:35

Before retirement, I used to shower every morning but since then I take more baths as, like Sylvia, I like to relax.

I also like to read while I’m in the bath. Only once have I relaxed too much and dropped my book in the bath water! Bring up the Bodies got a good wash but once it was dried out I was able to finish the book. :-D