General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Making Bagels

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 22 Nov 2022 11:08

I have made bagels using just 2 ingredients, thick fat free Greek yoghurt and self-raising flour. Unfortunately, I cannot find the recipe I used.

So, I went online and found one but they didn't turn out as well.

The problem is it gives the measurements in Cups not ounces or grammes etc. I have looked at various conversions, but they are not all the same. So can anyone tell me the correct conversion of:
2 cups of self-raising flour in either ounces or grammes
1 1/2 cups of thick Greek non-fat yoghurt in fluid ounces

Thankyou

Florence in the hebrides

Von

Von Report 22 Nov 2022 11:30

Florence
I’ve just weighed out one cup of self raising flour and it weighed 138 grammes.

So 2 cups would be 276 grammes. This appears to be less than the conversion chart I looked at. :-S

Sorry can’t help with the yogurt as I don’t have any at the moment. Maybe you could

work out the proportions of yogurt to flour. Sorry can’t help any more.

Von

Von Report 22 Nov 2022 11:34

Looking at fluid ounces online looks like approx 8 fluid ounces to a cup. :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 22 Nov 2022 11:35

There is an Onken recipe with 300 gr self raising flour and 250 gr of set yoghurt.

Try putting UK in your search, should bring up UK weights before the cups recipient.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 22 Nov 2022 11:44

I've just looked at a site with conversion charts which give 1 cup of flour as 125g and 1 cup of wet ingredients as 250 ml. Not sure if thick yoghurt would count as liquid.

It shouldn't really matter what amounts you use as long as your keep the proportions the same as in the original recipe.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 22 Nov 2022 12:03

Thanks ladies, off to try again.

I'm going to use 2 cups s/r flour=300 g
1 1/2cups yoghurt=360 ml

It's a bit of a minefield! I looked up putting in uk as suggested.

Shall let you know later how they turned out.

Thankyou for your suggestions

Florence in the hebrides

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 22 Nov 2022 15:00

You've probably made them by now, but for future reference -

If you would like to use the American "cups" method of measurement, the table below can be used as a conversion guideline for non- liquid ingredients. Officially, a US Cup is 240ml (or 8.45 imperial fluid ounces.)
Cups to Grams Conversion Table.
Ingredient Sugar (granulated)
1 cup 200g
¾ cup 150g
? cup 130g
½ cup 100g

Florence61

Florence61 Report 22 Nov 2022 17:08

Thanks, Andys mum, but I couldn't actually make them!!! Discovered the yoghurt I was going to use was out of date grrr, however added some to my Tesco delivery coming tomorrow so shall make the bagels sometime tomorrow.

Von

Von Report 22 Nov 2022 18:08

Florence
Here’s an interesting article. No wonder there is so much of a discrepancy.

https://www.cupcakeproject.com/how-much-does-a-cup-of-flour-weigh/

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 22 Nov 2022 20:07

many many years ago, I worked for Mcdougalls flour in milwall docks.

there was bulk loading project going on ie a giant hopper to load 30 tons onto road tankers...
basically electrically there were three levels each of 10 tons, and an over fill space. of around 3 tons......

when it was being calibrated....they discovered that the flour density they had been given was wrong!! and to get a full 30 tons, they needed to use the overfill space so the weighbridge below, became the main point of reference rather than the hopper levels.......

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Nov 2022 03:52

I have cook books from England (mainly dating back to before 1967), the US, Canada, Australia, and a few other miscellaneous places including 1 book from France in French.

I have trouble making many recipes .............. the US, UK and Australia basically each have different measurements for cups. Canada mainly goes by the US, and all my measuring cups bought in Canada are now the US measure.

I make notes by every recipe as to what the actual measure is in ounces for each country!

I don't have any measures in grams, so have to convert those to ounces!

Just as an incidental comment ........... I have found that flours, self-raising or plain, differ in almost every country.

My never-fail sponge cake recipe that I used in the UK was a miserable failure when I tried to make it over here. The reason of course is that different wheat strains may be used in different countries.

I'm now finding that gluten-free flours respond differently, and I need to experiment with every recipe/

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 23 Nov 2022 08:22

Oh the joys of gluten free baking.

I think different brands of flour can act differently.

If you make pastry - well good luck with that !

I once tried to make gluten free bagels from a gf recipe. Can’t even try to describe them.

We were on a cruise earlier this year when mid cruise they changed from brought in bread etc. to making their own. A complete disaster.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 23 Nov 2022 12:17

Well folks I made the bagels but....
They were a bit dense and heavy not light like the very first ones I made. They tasted ok but I wouldn't offer them to a visitor!

Thanks for all the suggestions and I must say, so many variations in the conversions makes it very difficult to follow a recipe.

Think I will stick to what I make best and that is my Supreme Victoria sponge, oven scones and xmas cake as they never fail and always turn out ok

Bob, I always use MacDougall's Supreme sponge flour as it makes the lightest sponges.

Florence in the Hebrides

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 23 Nov 2022 13:53

there is also a difference between plain flour and self-raising..

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 23 Nov 2022 14:25

Doh! (Smacks head)

Gluten free self raising makes wonderful light sponges.

Bob - you can turn plain flour into self raising by adding baking powder - or did you know that.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 24 Nov 2022 19:42

OH! yes!!

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 24 Nov 2022 20:07

May be a silly thing to say but does your measuring jug have cup measurements.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 24 Nov 2022 20:25

No ZZzzz not silly. No mine is quite old, and it doesn't. Maybe I should have a look at a new one and see if they do as didn't think of that.
Ty for the info :-D

Florence in the Hebrides

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 24 Nov 2022 21:04

Florence. I just looked at pyrex jugs and one says 1 cup is 8oz on the jug itself, I hope that helps.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 24 Nov 2022 22:46

Ty ZZzzz