General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

No to Indy Ref2

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 23 Nov 2022 11:42

The Supreme Court has ruled today that Scotland does not have the power to hold Indy Ref 2.
I was not in favour of Independance back in 2014 and have always thought the UK are better together.

So, will NS now just "drop it" and maybe use the 23 million that she set aside for another Referendum to help those in Scotland that need it most?
That money has been sitting gathering dust whilst families are struggling, the NHS Scotland is struggling and Education struggles.

If there is going to be a WW3, the UK needs a great armed services made up of the 4 corners of the UK. We will always be "Better Together"

I am sure there are people who will disagree with this outcome, that's life but it's good to have a healthy discussion without falling out.

Alex Salmon still lurks in the shadows and if NS should ever resign, I hope he will not make a comeback!!

Florence in the Hebrides

Maddie

Maddie Report 23 Nov 2022 13:21

i saw she was advised by a Scottish Legal person this would be the outcome so what a waste of money, sadly she is not giving up and that money gathering dust you mention will stay there. I hope it is attracting good interest rates
Don't want you to leave either
Maddie down south

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 23 Nov 2022 14:03

What do NS and the SNP not understand about the 2014 Referendum being a once in a generation vote on Independence :-0. The people voted NO, get over it and move on for at least a generation :-0

If they put the same energy into sorting out NHS Scotland and Education, which from all accounts are in a dire state, the people of Scotland would be far better off :-)

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 23 Nov 2022 14:23

Yes, and think of all that spare money she now has lying around.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 23 Nov 2022 16:43

Fighting for independence was the whole reason for the SNP being formed in the first place, and for their continued existence, so they can't and won't give up.

NS and her advisers aren't stupid. I'm sure she knew the court would say no, but she had to be seen to be jumping through all the right hoops.

The next step will likely be a Scottish general election, with independence as the SNP's main policy - as it always has been.

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 23 Nov 2022 19:23

We have a bet when NS is on tv. how long it is before she says 'I am the First Minister'

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 23 Nov 2022 19:28

:-D :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 23 Nov 2022 19:40

I recon if we had a referendum and the result was still the same...NO, then she would resign! You simply cannot repeat the process until you get a different result.
The 2014 was a once in a lifetime vote. The SNP said that but because it didn't go their way, they now want to try again and then what?

What currency would we have? Every time NS has been asked that, she doesn't have an answer because there isn't a currency decided on. If Scotland went Independant, then re-joined the EU, we will end up having the Euro. Sorry but no thankyou to that.

I didn't opt to join the EU and opted to leave it. I want us to keep the British pound.
And what of borders then, how would that work? Passports to visit England, Wales & NI. Changing Euros to sterling?

What about the state pension as I read it wouldn't be guaranteed even if you have worked many years in England like I have and made contributions and then lived and worked here for 30 years, you could in effect lose it all.

All of these questions have been raised with NS and she has no answers. Surely all these things should be sorted first way before any referendum takes place to see if Scotland could be managed financially completely on its own. It relied heavily on income from North Sea gas but with no new plans to open new drilling areas, that income has dropped.

In 2014 the price of gas plummeted and if Scotland had gone independent then we would have been bankrupt over night!

Florence in the Hebrides