General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1939 Handwritten codes

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicki

Nicki Report 23 Nov 2022 12:07

Hi
Does anyone know what the handwritten codes mean on the 1939 register?

CH283BLK
CR283CH

Thanks

Nicki

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 23 Nov 2022 14:31

I,m on my iPad and can’t c&p but found some by googling.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Nov 2022 14:51

Sometimes they ref to later info

The 1939 register was used in 1948 as a basis to issue nhs numbers when the nhs started

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 24 Nov 2022 09:25

· Dates shown are usually not the date of the event, but seem to be the date of the update (or possibly the date on the form that triggered the update)

· CR283 is a form that is used when there is a Change of Surname, Forename, or Date of Birth (most changes will be surname changes, of course)<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

· NEL probably stands for "North East London"; many other three letter codes can be interpreted by referring to this table

· IC or I/C almost certainly stands for Identity Card

· See Con Sheet means "see continuation sheet" (unfortunately the continuation sheets don't seem to be available)

The above found by Googling

Kath. x

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 24 Nov 2022 10:57

I wondered whether the letters and figures could be codes for things like, age group, serviceman/woman, health status, citizenship, place of registration (ie normal abode) and so on. Just a thought because the government would need to know who was almost service age and where the non-Brits were domiciled.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 24 Nov 2022 15:08

Enumeration district codes:

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/1939-register-enumeration-districts
https://www.lostcousins.com/newsletters2/1939RegisterAreaCodes.htm

But doesn't include Kath's NEL !

NR230 is the code for a change of name other than by marriage.

Your example of CH283 may be a badly written CR283.

BrianW

BrianW Report 4 Dec 2022 16:42

I would like to know why so many entries on the Register are redacted when there is no chance that they are still alive.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 Dec 2022 17:10

I think it is because they stopped updating the register sometime in the 1990's.

If there is someone that has their name redacted and you would like the record opening then you have to supply Findmypast with a copy of the death certificate.

I did this to get my mother's record opened - she died in 2003.

Kath. x

Island

Island Report 4 Dec 2022 17:16

Florence, my mum's visible without being requested. She died in 2007.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 4 Dec 2022 17:39

"You will see some records covered by a black line in the 1939 Register. These are the records of individuals who were born less than 100 years ago and whose death has not been registered. This is to protect their privacy if they are still alive. The Genealogist, Findmypast and Ancestry regularly update their 1939 Register collections to include more individuals as they become eligible."

https://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/tutorials/10-things-you-should-know-about-the-1939-register/

That sounds as if entries are opened automatically for people born more than 100 years ago - but maybe there are some whose deaths can't be matched to the 1939 entries?? Maybe people with very common names, and DOB's wrong on the Register ?? Just guessing.
Or people who have used different names, or died abroad, maybe.

FMP's explanation is slightly different:

"The Register was updated until 1991, meaning that anyone who was born less than 100 years and a day ago but died prior to 1991 will have their record opened automatically. If the person died after 1991, we can accept scans of death certificates as evidence of death."
https://tinyurl.com/2s3ssxa6