General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Snow 6ft deep in Buffalo New York State.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 24 Nov 2022 09:58

https://www.nytimes.com/video/nyregion/100000008649667/buffalo-new-york-snow.html?smid=url-share

:-0 :-0 :-0 :-0

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 24 Nov 2022 11:04

:-0 :-0 :-0

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Nov 2022 13:36

Crikey!

*Memo to self* If heavy snow is forecast here, remember to get the shovel from the shed, and in to the house, before it happens!

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 24 Nov 2022 13:53

Heavy snow here will be 6 inches Maggie ;-)

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 24 Nov 2022 13:59

I remember one time in the late-fifties, I think it was. The roads iced over for a long while and I got my skates out. :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Nov 2022 16:25

I don't know, Mr M. I live on a hill.
The weather here is totally different to that a 10 mnute walk down the hill :-(

Florence61

Florence61 Report 24 Nov 2022 16:39

Wow! If we get that much snow, daughter would be delighted as she can make a huge snowman and go sledging. As for me? Hmmmm Maybe swap my stick for ski sticks.

Andrew

Andrew Report 24 Nov 2022 18:41

I remember the winter of 1963, in our village in Kent the snow was waist deep when I did my paper round. The trains weren't running so I had to get a bus to Maidstone to go to school. The snow drifts off the North Downs were higher than the top of the double decker bus we were on.

The good old days!

Florence61

Florence61 Report 24 Nov 2022 22:49

Andrew, I lived in Kent in my young days and remember walking to school 3 miles in deep snow!! But also remember when it was bad with drifts, the school in January would shut for a week and we had great fun sledging etc all day.

As soon as there was an inch of snow the buses seem to be cancelled!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Nov 2022 23:02

I was living in a caravan at 'Silver Sands', Covesea (now a holiday park), Lossiemouth, on the East coast in the North of Scotland when we had that snow!!! :-(

We were living in a 'Bessacar'. My 2 brothers were home from boarding school, for Christmas (1962) so there were 6 of us in a tiny caravan. My bed, (when the boys were home) was a board and cushion on the unplumbed - in bath.

Our toilet was a bucket in the shed in the garden.
Caravan doors open outwards.
So, we wake up - and the door wouldn't open. We were snowed in. We couldn't even see out of the windows.

No-one can get to the loo - apart from me.
As I was only 6, and couldn't be trusted to get to the shed in the dark, with a torch, I had a potty (siblings were 11, 12 & 13) :-D

Mum found a bucket for everyone else.

The snow was a wonderful insulator, though, it was lovely and warm in the caravan.
By the afternoon, rescuers arrived to clear the door, then dad and my brothers had to make a path to the shed, then clear the shed doorway. (which also opened outwards)

I think we went back to school a week late after Christmas.
Then we had another really big snowfall, and got snowed in again, in March/April, 1963.

Picture - me about 5 outside the Bessacar, the summer before the snow
We'd not long arrived from Malta, as that dress has a Maltese cross on it.
Also mother is hanging out of the door (possibly can't see it in the picture) wearing a 'Maltese Weave' skirt.