General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

So hair has regrown after chemo

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 Nov 2022 14:22

Had the last chemo in April and was bald !

For a least a month nothing seemed to happen then there was signs !

Hair started to show and grow and curl .

It’s taken 6 months to grow to a lengh and is now snow white and soft curls

Everyone says we like it, suits you and look younger

Makes me wonder why i spent so much money on six week hairdressers trips for dye cut and blow dry

It’s now though needs a trim as looking bushy at the sides

It’s a sort of soft curled Afro at the mo

Did read that post chemo hair often comes back curly but with subsequent cuts the curl goes

I hope not cos I actually like my hair

Have made an appointment for Friday week with my usual hairstylist for a trim

Was talking to her today and she was we wondered where you were and why we hadn’t seen you !

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 30 Nov 2022 14:51

Your hair sounds lovely Shirley and I'm pleased that you like it too. <3

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 30 Nov 2022 19:52

Oh Shirley the exact same thing happened to my Aunt in Australia. <3

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 30 Nov 2022 23:15

We should embrace our silver/white (never call it grey) hair!

My once jet-black hair started turning early. I never dyed it black, but used dark brown or henna.

When I turned 50, I'd had enough of colouring my hair.
I bought some dye remover, and grey hair dye (for the bits that maybe didn't come out)
Once my hair was it's natural colour, my daughter asked what dye I used, as it was, apparently, a fine example of 'Balayage' - and all I had to do was.... nothing!. :-D :-D

Even when I moved here, my neighbour asked what dye or shampoo I used.to get the different colours.
It is weird, there are silver, white, grey and black hairs - this is very evident in my eyebrows :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Dec 2022 01:01

I.m so pleased that your hair is back, and a lovely white and curly!

A friend used to dye her hair regularly when she was in her 50s and 60s. One day she asked me about it, and I decided to be honest and said that I had just let my hair become a silvery white because I wanted it to be natural, and that I also thought it was expensive to keep dying it.

She thought about it, especially my comment about the money, and stopped dying it.

She looked at least 10 years younger than her age whereas the dye colour had made her look 10 years older than her true age.

My hair started going grey-white when I was in my 40s, as a streak down the back. One close friend told me it looked like a silver-back gorilla who was the leader of the troop :-D :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Dec 2022 09:29

Everyone has said I look younger too and my face looks softer as the dye was giving me a hard look

At 85 I,ll take looking younger :-D

It does have some brown hairs in it too so not completely white

The lower back too looks greyish white

Speaking to my hairdresser she was good on you if you are happy being white as it’s natural and dyeing takes a lot of upkeep , which I knew anyway

Am just hoping cutting some length off doenst lose the curl

Incidentally I was curly as a child in a Shirley Temple way which is where my name came from !

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 1 Dec 2022 11:19

So pleased your hair has grown back, it sounds fab, Shirley :-) <3

I gave up dyeing my hair about 10 years ago :-D. It's now what I call salt and pepper :-D

Annx

Annx Report 1 Dec 2022 17:16

Your hair sounds like an improvement and lovely Shirley! My friend had beautiful natural platinum blonde fine straight hair in her 40s and after chemo her hair grew back light brown and very curly. It still really suited her with a new shorter cut though. I imagine with a little weight taken off the sides yours may curl more Shirley. It's good it has grown before the winter as well.

Balayage Maggie......I love your daughter and she's right isn't she! The latest thing seems to be having growing out 'roots' dyed back in.

My then long hair started going grey in my early 20s which was a great disappointment to me, so I used to dye it. Now it is white with a few lowlights put in the top and cut a bit like Judi Dench's.

Von

Von Report 1 Dec 2022 17:26

Shirley so pleased that your hair has grown back and is curly as well.

Annx I’m green with envy as I fancy a Judy Dench style hair cut but with my hair being

so straight it’s impossible. ;-) ;-)

Florence61

Florence61 Report 2 Dec 2022 11:06

When my daughter was born, her hair was white, blonde like mine and my father's, my mum was jet black. After her chemo, daughter's hair grew back a few shades darker, a dark blonde.

She had fine straight hair and after it grew back was actually just the same.

But I have a friend who had breast cancer and like you Shirley, her hair grew back in a light grey and curly which she wasn't before!

I'm so glad you like the new you and as you say, if it makes you look younger, that's brilliant.

When some dye their hair, it doesn't always match their skin colour and I think that's when it can make you look older perhaps. If you have fair skin and dye your hair black, it just doesn't look quite right somehow.

I'm very lucky that I still only have a sprinkling of grey that my highlights cover up and I'm nearly 61!

Glad that you are doing so well Shirley <3

Florence in the Hebrides